Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Feasibility of my project.
Hi. I am currently studying computing and must create a project that successfully uses a GUI , stores data etc. and it must solve a problem. I thought of creating a program which when run opens a GUI and allows you to register/ log in. There will be 2 divisions of users, teachers and students. With different permissions. The program will be a maths quiz. So students will be able to complete quizzes. Their scores will be stored in a database along with the date they completed the quiz. The teachers will be able to view this data.
Is it possible to create the teacher/student user permission levels?
If so, is it a complex project idea? I am an A level student and I have a few months to complete this.
Thank you.
(Jun-15-2017, 08:54 AM)Smith08 Wrote: Hi. I am currently studying computing and must create a project that successfully uses a GUI , stores data etc. and it must solve a problem. I thought of creating a program which when run opens a GUI and allows you to register/ log in. There will be 2 divisions of users, teachers and students. With different permissions. The program will be a maths quiz. So students will be able to complete quizzes. Their scores will be stored in a database along with the date they completed the quiz. The teachers will be able to view this data.
At that point it's just a matter of a few if's in your code, it it's just a toy project with a local DB. A real-life project would be different, with the database out of reach of students (ie, we are taking about web application on aback-end server and such).
(Jun-15-2017, 08:54 AM)Smith08 Wrote: If so, is it a complex project idea? I am an A level student and I have a few months to complete this.
Thank you.
Not if it's a toy project.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(Jun-15-2017, 09:10 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(Jun-15-2017, 08:54 AM)Smith08 Wrote: Hi. I am currently studying computing and must create a project that successfully uses a GUI , stores data etc. and it must solve a problem. I thought of creating a program which when run opens a GUI and allows you to register/ log in. There will be 2 divisions of users, teachers and students. With different permissions. The program will be a maths quiz. So students will be able to complete quizzes. Their scores will be stored in a database along with the date they completed the quiz. The teachers will be able to view this data.
At that point it's just a matter of a few if's in your code, it it's just a toy project with a local DB. A real-life project would be different, with the database out of reach of students (ie, we are taking about web application on  aback-end server and such).
(Jun-15-2017, 08:54 AM)Smith08 Wrote: If so, is it a complex project idea? I am an A level student and I have a few months to complete this.
Thank you.
Not if it's a toy project.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'toy project'. The project is supposed to solve a real world problem. It is meant to work in an actual classroom to be used by a class. I am simply making up a fake client. Thanks again.
Also, how many lines do you think the code would be. Of course there are various approaches but would it be in the 100s, 200s?
Lines of code is a meaningless metric. Depending on the gui framework, it could be less than 100. If you deeply nest repeating if-blocks, you could easily stretch that to 500 lines. And if you include the gui framework itself, it could be hundreds of thousands of lines.