Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feasible career change
Hi all.I'm a 43yr old gastro guy whos thinking of a career change.I have background in web/PHP, but its been a while. I've bought a Python book, and signed up for some online courses as I want to create a few apps for private use, and was interested in Python.I thought maybe I could work at it in the nearish future, at least part-time, but I dont know if thats feasible. Have others come along so late? What should I be programming? Are there worthwhile intensive courses available in Europe (I'm a native English speaker living in Germany). All helpful tips and scornful criticism welcome...Thanks in advance... Smile
In todays age, you could learn what you get from college, from YouTube. Courses can help, but not are required. You can learn just as much; if not more from just reading and coding hands on. You have a history in a language so you probably would pick it up faster than teenagers fresh to the concept. Its not a young mans job. There are people on here that have been coding since the 60's.

As for length of time to learn. It could vary. It all depends on how much time you devote to learning and actually typing out code. Ive seen people go from 0 to 60 in one years time. Most people though can become fluent in a language in a few years. If you dont devote a lot of time, it could take 10 years.
Recommended Tutorials:
Drive and honesty were the most important factors to me.
Degrees are important, because they show dedication, but I have hired people without degrees
in both senior and starting positions based on knowledge, drive and honesty only, with emphasis on drive!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python career recommendations skarface19 0 393 Jan-04-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: skarface19
  Starting New Programming Career after 50 MCL169 4 1,331 Jan-25-2023, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Is being a Python Developer a good career choice? ankitdixit 1 2,131 May-31-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: ankitdixit
  Career step with Python izildop 0 1,425 Dec-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Last Post: izildop
  Have I chosen the wrong career path? xBlackHeartx 29 16,247 Oct-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Javi12Alvares