Python Forum
Fibonacci sequence problem is confusing me
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fibonacci sequence problem is confusing me
I am having a hard time initiating this program

The idea of the Fibonacci sequence can be generalized by starting with any two numbers F0 and F1, and then continuing as in the Fibonacci sequence so that Fn = Fn-1 + Fn-2 for n>=2.

Use the Design Recipe to define a function gen_fibonacci that consumes three integer arguments. The first two arguments are the first two members of the sequence, and the third is the number of elements to print, each on its own line. Include a docstring!
For example:

Test

Displays

gen_fibonacci(2,5,5)

I started like this :
def gen_fibonacci(n,n2,n3):
    f1 = 0
    f2 = 1
    if n >= 1:
        print(f1)
    if n >= 2:
        print(f2)
    for i in range(2, n):

thank you
You are on the right track, now the for loop needs some code.
In each iteration, print the new value (sum of f1 and f2) and assign new values to f1 and f2 accordingly.
With homework its always good to start with defining problem in spoken language. As far as I understand:

- give me fibonacci sequence of defined length calculated based on two first sequence elements provided

Every element in fibonacci sequence is sum of its previous two elements. Function provides two first elements, therefore finding third element is as simple as first + second. The only problem is how to renew values to find next and to be sure that number of elements in sequence is correct.

As this is homework and name of the function (gen_) calls it following example is using generator function. Presumably you can't use this code directly but you can get general idea and modify it to fit your needs (NB! Code is not defensive i.e in case of length 0 and 1 it will not give sequence of correct length).

def gen_fibonacci(first, second, length):
    yield first
    yield second
    for i in range(length - 2):
        current = first + second
        yield current
        first, second = second, current

print(*gen_fibonacci(2, 5, 5), sep='\n')
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Assistance with Fibonacci code Colombian1976 3 2,887 Feb-17-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Confusing Mechatronics question Cwcox 1 2,023 Nov-14-2018, 08:50 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  Help needed on Fibonacci series nvakada 1 2,455 Apr-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Linear Fibonacci sequence Tawnwen 1 3,266 Feb-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: nilamo
  Help with fibonacci sequence masonmoore93 2 7,967 Oct-01-2017, 12:56 AM
Last Post: masonmoore93