Python Forum
First Active Online Python Linter
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Active Online Python Linter
Hi everyone! 

I just wanted to share with everyone a lightweight online tool I created called PythonBuddy (github.com/ethanchewy/PythonBuddy) which actively lints Python online.
I made this so that MOOCs like edX or codecademy could easily embed and use this on their courses. Also, PythonBuddy could help alleviate the frustrations with setting up a programming environment.

Just thought it might be helpful for those who want to program in Python online with a helpful live syntax checker.
Please leave a if you found this project to be helpful!

I'm currently trying to convert this project to an XBlock so that online courses (like 6.00.1x) can embed a live python syntax checker for quizzes and assignments online.
If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer in the comment section!
Good work,seems to work as expected.
Can be useful for quick online check of code.

Now do most IDE and editors have this build or as plugin.
There are like 5 packages for Linter in Atom that i use.

There is a really big negative and that is Python 2.7 only Dodgy
When make new stuff for Python these days,it should work for python 3.
(Feb-24-2017, 04:51 PM)snippsat Wrote: Good work,seems to work as expected.
Can be useful for quick online check of code.

Now do most IDE and editors have this build or as plugin.
There are like 5 packages for Linter in Atom that i use.

There is a really big negative and that is Python 2.7 only Dodgy
When make new stuff for Python these days,it should work for python 3.

Good point. Hopefully I can create an option for python 3. Actually, I think if you just change the pylint version and the virtualenv version, you can make this work easily. I'll write that in my documentation. 

I made it for python 2.7 because most institutions use python 2.7 still :P and I was targeting MOOCs.

Also, do IDES and editor for python "actively" lint python? I've only used SublimeLinter and it doesn't actively pylint.

Thanks for the help!
Still looking for contributors. Feel free to submit a pull request or create an issue if you have any ideas! https://github.com/ethanchewy/PythonBuddy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Python Editors with Built-in Compilers Elon_Warner 0 605 Oct-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Elon_Warner
  Python Online Compiler alexmaxwell1 2 1,446 Sep-03-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  reading remote active log file? korenron 3 2,801 Jun-24-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: korenron
  What are the key changes in dotenv-linter v3.0.0 release? elizabethlvova 0 1,648 Jan-28-2021, 02:35 PM
Last Post: elizabethlvova
  Do I have to download and install Python if I want to compile my code online? bld 2 2,061 Jul-26-2020, 09:57 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Learning Python - good free online resources & courses StickyBrickit 1 2,416 Jun-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Interactive online python learning environment freely available kenttong 0 1,526 Jan-29-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: kenttong
  Python Challenge online - 30 Questions JulienC 1 2,809 Mar-02-2018, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Accredited Online Course in OOP Python.. Please? monipri 6 7,881 May-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Last Post: codeby50