Python Forum
First impressions on forum software
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First impressions on forum software
i know the url, but i cant seem to input the logged in user correctly. Im leaving it to have the MyBB staff look at it. Meanwhile there is a non working "view my post" option in the menu
Recommended Tutorials:
After researching about "view my posts". This is called an "egosearch" in PhpBB. However MyBB does not have this. And reading through other people similar requests , MyBB devs are not quite understanding to its purpose. They are set on subscriptions. Its not requested enough for someone to make a mod either. 

Personally i hate subscriptions. Do they really expect you to click subscribe to each of your responses in each thread...I dont want emails or PMs....just a link to click to list them. 

What is quite humorous is the fact that MyBB staff basically said (in recent years posts) that if you want to do this you can do the "search your own username method" that i asked before....but that is a royal pain to do that every time. Of course you can bookmark that link, but damn.... And you cannot just insert your username into that url to create a link....that url has a search id, not a username. 

A bypass i was thinking was creating a page to link people to...in which that catches the logged in username, have javascript auto fill the search username and redirect to that url. However that is a bit of effort just for a link. Of course anyone that is javascript savy is welcome to try. And another option for the PHP savy, is to replicate the search of your own username, and redirect also.
Recommended Tutorials:
In the user control panel, there's a "Default Thread Subscription Mode:". If you set that to "Instant PM Notification", then you'll be auto-subscribed to any thread you post in. ...I think. I'll be fine without the egosearch, I'll just have to learn the new way of doing things, I guess.
Quote:The intermediary page of "your search results will be available soon" is a little annoying
I turned this off globally. I found out users could turn it off in UCP anyways, so there is no point.

Quote:In the user control panel, there's a "Default Thread Subscription Mode:". If you set that to "Instant PM Notification", then you'll be auto-subscribed to any thread you post in. ...I think. I'll be fine without the egosearch, I'll just have to learn the new way of doing things, I guess.
I set all "new" accounts to do this automatically by default. They can always turn it off again in UCP. But all existing accounts would still have it off. 

I liked that egosearch :@. I will not rest until we have one
Recommended Tutorials:
Is there a guide on how to create plugins? It seems like that wouldn't be that difficult to add.
im sure you would have to be well versed in how MyBB works.
Recommended Tutorials:
I just noticed the "users browsed this thread" at the bottom.  That's actually super cool.  That is all.
Quote:I just noticed the "users browsed this thread" at the bottom.  That's actually super cool.  That is all.
That is because its not vanilla MyBB. I installed that because it looked interesting. No more hiding the fact that you saw the thread, and pretend not to help. :) (you as in users, not you specifically)
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-26-2016, 03:25 PM)metulburr Wrote: No more hiding the fact that you saw the thread, and pretend not to help. :)
That's the only part I'm slightly hesitant about this.  If lots of people look at something, but aren't sure how to help (or don't have time to look into it right then), the OP might become frustrated and start PMing people who looked, trying to see if they had ideas.  Which is fine, I delete all my pms without reading them, but it could be annoying for others.

Otherwise, I think it's awesome.
They were already PMing mods who locked their stuff  :D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the forum need a forum category ? Yoriz 4 6,362 Sep-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap