Python Forum
Flash an old tablet with a new android?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash an old tablet with a new android?
Is it possible to flash such as older tablet with a newer android?
ASUS Model: ME302C
Android 4.3
Kernel: 3.4.43
more specs

I bought this tablet in 2013. The battery still holds a good charge. Everything works as it was when first bought. Shocked However it is locked at Android 4.3. Which means some apps are unable to be downloaded from the store. (and im sure some wont work at all due to hardware). I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to flash this tablet with a newer android. The tablet is already rooted. This is the only method i came up with. But the TWRP Recovery does not list my device which is where i hit a road block there.

Im unsure if this is worth the time to devote into trying to get to work or not. Or just leave it as it is.
Recommended Tutorials:
This is not your model, but process may be similar: https://hackaday.io/project/8751-asus-t1...surrection
maybe a better search will find the exact model.
I like this site.
The problem with new Android OSs for older devices, is that the newer versions tend to require greater amounts of physical memory. If you can add to tablet memory (vs storage) this might be an option.
Im not sure if RAM is the issue. Because that tablet has more RAM than my phone (1GB) and the phone is running Android 7.1.1. And the storage is the same at 16GB. IF that was the case it should at least be able to handle 7.1.1.
Recommended Tutorials:
Were you able to figure out how to flash it from the hackaday article?
I'm the sort who would try it and maybe smoke the whole tablet in doing so.
But end up pleased with myself if successful.

This reminds me of when I was a kid. Most clocks back then were mechanical and had to be wound, those that didn't created a lot of Ozone and used a lot of electricity.

My mother had one on her bureau (wind up). She mentioned that it was running fast, so, to the rescue... I decided to fix it (had absolutely no idea what I was doing). With screwdriver in hand, it wasn't long before one last screw and Kazam, gears all over the floor. Needless to say I wasn't my mom's favourite child that day.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best distro for old 8' windows tablet? masonjones26 0 1,789 Dec-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: masonjones26
  unable to flash micropython to esp 32: open serial error apollo 3 6,052 Oct-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Last Post: vikram20
  installing Linux on Flash Drive Larz60+ 9 6,890 Sep-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Anyone use a tablet? nilamo 15 9,234 Jul-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Last Post: monstertut