Python Forum
For loops, strings and printing words with even characters
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For loops, strings and printing words with even characters
I’ve got a string: "Secret agents are super good at staying hidden."

I’m trying to use a for loop to print out only the words with an even number of characters.

In my code below, I’ve assigned the string to a variable. I’ve split each word up into items in a new list by using the split function. Then I’ve counted the length of each item and assigned it to a new variable called, counted_string. Then I iterate through each item. I take each item and apply a modulus of two. If the remainder is 0 (meaning the word has an even number of characters) only then that particular item is printed. This is what I am trying to do in following code snippet I’ve written:

mystring = "Secret agents are super good at staying hidden."
mystring.split()
counted_string = len(mystring)
int(counted_string)
for i in counted_string:    
    if i %2 == 0:
        print(i)
I was expecting this output:
Quote:Secret
agents
good
at

Instead I get this traceback:
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-28-5b7261c4eed7> in <module>()
      3 counted_string = len(mystring)
      4 int(counted_string)
----> 5 for i in counted_string:
      6     if i %2 == 0:
      7         print(i)

TypeError: 'int' object is not iterable
I'm doing something wrong at line 5. The traceback is saying that my counted_string variable is not iterable (because it’s an integer?). Only strings and lists are iterable. So if I substitute counted_string in my for loop with the original mystring variable, I don’t get any output.

Can someone better explain why my code is actually doing and how I can get the desired/expected output?

For my future reference, this forum thread refers to Task #2 in Jose Portilla’s so called 04-Field-Readiness-Exam-2 in his “Narrative Journey” Udemy Python course material (on GitHub: Pierian-Data/Python-Narrative-Journey).
(Sep-13-2018, 02:05 PM)Drone4four Wrote:
mystring.split()

Strings are immutable objects - meaning that they cannot be changed "in-place". You essentially create a temporary list object without assigning the result - so that list is lost

int(counted_string)
Result of len function is integer - and the second line again does nothing

for i in counted_string:    
    if i %2 == 0:
        print(i)

In Python, you iterate over lists directly; if you need index - you use enumerate function; if you want to iterate over range of values - you use range function (just to explain your mistake, don't need it here)

This video is highly recommended for those learning how to loop in Python
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Thanks for the your help so far, volcano63.

(Sep-13-2018, 02:26 PM)volcano63 Wrote: Strings are immutable objects - meaning that they cannot be changed "in-place". You essentially create a temporary list object without assigning the result - so that list is lost
By immutable, do you mean that strings in general cannot be altered or changed? Certainly it's possible to modify a string, just the way I originally tried to do so is faulty. I've re-assigned the split of mystring back to the mystring variable. See line 2 of my script copied below.

Quote:Result of len function is integer - and the second line again does nothing
I've commented out this line.

Here is what my script looks like now:
mystring = mystring.split()
# int(counted_string)
for word in mystring:    
    if counted_string %2 == 0:
        print(word)
It runs without a traceback but it still does do what I've set out to do. Here is the output:
Secret
agents
are
super
good
at
staying
hidden.
I am trying to only print the words which have an even number of characters. I've got more material to go over, as you've suggested:
Quote:In Python, you iterate over lists directly; if you need index - you use enumerate function; if you want to iterate over range of values - you use range function (just to explain your mistake, don't need it here)

This video is highly recommended for those learning how to loop in Python

I'll review both my Udemy instructor's videos on enumeration and watch this YouTube video by Ned Batchelder that you've shared.
(Sep-13-2018, 03:07 PM)Drone4four Wrote: By immutable, do you mean that strings in general cannot be altered or changed? Certainly it's possible to modify a string,
yes, immutable means you cannot change string. what you do is to reassign variable name. i.e. your variable name points to different object, not that you changed the string. Just for comparison - lists are mutable. so you can do:
>>> some_list = [1, 2, 3]
>>> id(some_list)
>>> some_list[0] = 4
>>> some_list
[4, 2, 3]
>>> id(some_list)
as you can see you can change the list, but it is the same object (same id)
you cannot change a string.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Sep-13-2018, 03:07 PM)Drone4four Wrote:
mystring = mystring.split()
# int(counted_string)
for word in mystring:    
    if counted_string %2 == 0:
        print(word)
counted_string is the length of the list (8), you need it to be the length of EACH string (word) as you go through the loop.
I am trying to help you, really, even if it doesn't always seem that way
At precisely 13 minutes and 17 seconds into Ned Batchelder’s talk on YouTube on loops and iterables in Python, I’ve struck gold!

Based on that slide, I modified my script so it reads:
mystring = "Secret agents are super good at staying hidden.".split()
for word in mystring:    
    if len(word) % 2 == 0:
        print(word)
My expected output now matches my actual output.

Thanks again volcano63 for Ned Batchelder's enormously helpful YouTube video!
Now to blow your mind with a list comprehension (for the sake of learning and being Pythonic):

mystring = [word for word in "Secret agents are super good at staying hidden.".split() if len(word) % 2 == 0]
print(", ".join(mystring))
(Oct-05-2018, 02:07 AM)stullis Wrote: Now to blow your mind with a list comprehension (for the sake of learning and being Pythonic):

mystring = [word for word in "Secret agents are super good at staying hidden.".split() if len(word) % 2 == 0]
print(", ".join(mystring))
Just for a laugh,
print(*[word for word in "Secret agents are super good at staying hidden.".split() if not len(word) % 2], sep=", ")
I am trying to help you, really, even if it doesn't always seem that way
(Oct-05-2018, 01:03 AM)Drone4four Wrote: Thanks again volcano63 for Ned Batchelder's enormously helpful YouTube video!

You are welcome. Maybe one day I will watch it myself (closing barn doors and bolted horses come to mind Smile )
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to understand strings and lists of strings Konstantin23 2 696 Aug-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Splitting strings in list of strings jesse68 3 1,702 Mar-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Generate a string of words for multiple lists of words in txt files in order. AnicraftPlayz 2 2,756 Aug-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: jamesaarr
  printing strings with format leodavinci1990 1 1,564 Aug-21-2020, 02:00 AM
Last Post: micseydel
  Introduction to escaping characters in strings Geelong_crazy 1 2,793 Jul-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Last Post: DT2000
  How to find the first and last of one of several characters in a list of strings? tadsss 2 2,140 Jun-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Remove escape characters / Unicode characters from string DreamingInsanity 5 13,416 May-15-2020, 01:37 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Trying to get unique words from a set of strings garam0 5 5,042 Apr-15-2020, 06:24 PM
Last Post: garam0
  Split a long string into other strings with no delimiters/characters krewlaz 4 2,703 Nov-15-2019, 02:48 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Finding multiple strings between the two same strings Slither 1 2,478 Jun-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Yoriz