Python Forum
Forced Password Change?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced Password Change?
I've only been a member here for just over a week and I was surprised to get a message that I had to change my password to continue using the site. Is that the site's policy? Change passwords every week? Did something happen to instigate this?

Can the site admins create a more informative message? The message was so terse I couldn't decide if it was legit or not. (I'm still not sure if it was.) I finally changed it and then changed it again (by following a different a path.)
precautionary measure from a threat of a hacker. Not normal, this is the second time we did this in over a year.
Recommended Tutorials:
the password change is reasonable enough, im really beginning to reject registration at sites that use the google captcha. it was fine when that thing started, its a lot more annoying and tedious these days.

i already realise this is probably something no one has any control over, but if this reset becomes a regular thing im not going to keep doing that captcha. i gave up on proboards altogether after 10 minutes of clicking on stupid pictures. thank you for working to keep us secure-- also im not a bot. (i know, thats what all bots say.)
I dont believe you should have to do the recaptcha when doing the password reset...only when you initially register. I can also say without some form of captcha, recaptcha, or recaptcha2.0 that spam can quickly overtake a forum. IF we didnt have it, the whole forum would be spam.

I think recaptcha2 is easier on humans than the old captcha though. It was a pain in the ass to try to identify some of the characters on a captcha form...to the point i would give up on registration on sites. Most of the time recaptcha2 should give a checkbox click, which is ridiculously little effort, but sometimes you get the images, which is a little of a pain, but much better than before.
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:but sometimes you get the images, which is a little of a pain
Like click on the squares containing bushes with blueberries on them.
Quote:I dont believe you should have to do the recaptcha when doing the password reset...only when you initially register.

agreed, but it still required me to do so.

Quote:I can also say without some form of captcha, recaptcha, or recaptcha2.0 that spam can quickly overtake a forum. IF we didnt have it, the whole forum would be spam.

entirely agreed.

Quote:I think recaptcha2 is easier on humans than the old captcha though. It was a pain in the ass to try to identify some of the characters on a captcha form...to the point i would give up on registration on sites.

i never get just the checkbox click. ever. i dunno why im being picked on here (meaning picking on by google, not the forum.) i always get the pictures-- it took about a minute (longer than most word captchas take, but i know the ridiculous ones that you were talking about) but ive spent like 5-10 minutes on some-- why, i dont know. they used to be easier, im starting to pass registering on sites that require the picture-clicking, just like we both did with unreasonable word captchas in the old days.

more of a heads-up than an issue to tackle. nothing to do really. cheers.
ill check on that. I dont think its suppose to do the captcha on password reset

I only get anything than the checkbox click when i repeatedly do something like make 100 accounts or something
Recommended Tutorials:
thank you. normally when i complain about a design/usability issue it is not a request and often not even aimed at the person im talking to, if you can do something to improve it thats always nice, also above and beyond. its a lot easier to say "well, it is what is." good luck.

you said this is the second time this year, so i admit i am thinking about the next time. all the best.
i like the images captcha,  it's more effective against mass registration bots.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Dec-20-2017, 02:34 AM)Skaperen Wrote: i like the images captcha,  it's more effective against mass registration bots.

I am not so sure. Recently I see those captchas to have a top image which tells you what to look for. Well, The image recognition software and algorithms are quite advanced. I imagine how you tell the program to get the top image and search for the same patterns. I know a guy who wrote a Python program to track the car's ID ( ID, number ? ) from a public webcam. It's fast. And the captchas are static images. What are we talking about... :D
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  password change Skaperen 1 1,786 Oct-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis