Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum page
The front page is getting big. In light of how things went on the previous forum, I would suggest a slightly different hierarchy:

Python coding help # on top because this is where we want most people to post
    General help 
    Specific help(subforums: Game, GUI, Web, Network, Scientific, Project Euler)
    Homework
Python language
    Tutorials (subforum: Submissions)
    Completed scripts
    General discussion
    Challenges
Python-forum
    New members say hello here # unless we still keep the bar for this)
    Help and suggestions
    Admins and mods 
Other:
    Jobs
    ChitChat/Bar/Watercooler
No "announcement" section because no-one reads them if they are in a forum of their own, while MyBB has a feature to put announcements in the header of specific forums. 

So, 4 sections instead of five for mods & admins, and 11/12 forums instead of 16/17
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
The way we had them initially, and on python-forum.org ...is the way we mutually agreed on having them 3 years ago. I know micseydel will join in on this discussion when he sees it

The idea then was, no sub forums (for the exception of tutorial submissions due to we didnt want crappy tutorials)  and simple forums that new users can understand. And that is the way we laid it out on python-forum.org...in which i just copied over initially.
Recommended Tutorials:
I think it's reasonable to agree to something new, using three year's worth of hindsight.

My feeling is we should drop Project Euler and Challenges, neither had more than 20 posts. And if you combine Networking and Web, they're still smaller than homework.

In general, I would say Keep It Simple. Just the forums we need.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Sep-17-2016, 09:24 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I think it's reasonable to agree to something new, using three year's worth of hindsight.

My feeling is we should drop Project Euler and Challenges, neither had more than 20 posts. And if you combine Networking and Web, they're still smaller than homework.

In general, I would say Keep It Simple. Just the forums we need.

On the old forum, "General discussion" has about 1/3 of the topics of General coding help, and most of them should hev been in General Coding Help, which is why I try to make the latter stand out more

Networking and web are two rather different things. If then can't stand on their own they can be folded in General.

I added a Scientific section because we do have many posts on Numpy and Scipy.

On Gimp-Forums I started subforums and they eventually worked (ie, people went there naturally). I seeded them by moving threads there(*).

(*) MyBB has a nice feature, you can move threads and leave a link at the old location that will last for a few days and be removed automatically.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(Sep-17-2016, 09:24 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: My feeling is we should drop Project Euler and Challenges, neither had more than 20 posts. And if you combine Networking and Web, they're still smaller than homework.
I agree to the first one. Project Euler and Challanges just didnt get enough posts to warrant a forum for them. But i think there should be a web forum and a networking forum.
(Sep-17-2016, 09:47 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I added a Scientific section because we do have many posts on Numpy and Scipy.
I think before we individually add forums we should mutually agree on the structure. Although i dont see it

One thing i dont like about the current setup is the bar is by itself in Off topic. It seems like a waste of real estate to have it by itself. We might as well jumble Forum forum and Off Topic forum together as none of them has anything to do with python.
Recommended Tutorials:
Forum/off topic/team now all together as Forum & Off Topic

What about also merging General & Python Coding all into just Python Coding ?
I liked the team stuff separate. Regular users couldnt see it anyways. And i think it made a good indication that that was for team members only.

(Sep-17-2016, 11:38 PM)Yoriz Wrote: What about also merging General & Python Coding all into just Python Coding ?
Our problem before with that was, where do we tell people to go for just discussion regarding python? Granted, most of the posts were coding posts. Sometimes people would post and get into discussions, never even entering code.

On the other hand, you have people that post code related threads in the discussion forum.
Recommended Tutorials:
Still send them to General Discussions it would just be under the Python Coding category instead of General.
I just realized when you rearranged the threads, the admins section is now viewable by guests, members, and basically everyone. Which that has server/host/domain login info, as well as database info. Make sure when rearranging the forums that the permissions are set accordingly. 

I changed them back.
Recommended Tutorials:
I thought I had done, the administrator logs show that I altered permissions for admins.
I'll leave it alone and just let you organize it how you'd like.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the forum need a forum category ? Yoriz 4 6,289 Sep-18-2016, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Kebap