Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny English
(Nov-03-2016, 04:55 AM)Skaperen Wrote: i try to get most things right in English.  but i like to avoid capitalization.  i remember an argument i once had with one of my English teachers.  she would mark wrong a mistake i made and tell me it was obvious.  no alternatives existed.  my position was that since any reader would know how it was supposed to be, then an error that did not create ambiguity was moot (because the reader could fix it ... in their mind).  i cn spel pthon wong und u noh whut i ment.

i avoid capitalization at the beginning of sentences and the word "i" because not doing so does not make it unreadable.  if i were German i would likely do this for nouns, too.  Ich bin nicht deutsch

Having a flat tire on your bike doesn't make it un-rideable either, and ice cream is still edible at 30°C. Did it occur to you that standard typography and grammar could have evolved to make reading as easy as possible and that not following these conventions makes you harder to read?
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Here's to another one I came to notice a lot in recent weeks, and which unfortunately will not even be noticed by your common typo-check as the words used seem perfectly okay:

Quote:I might of thought ...

There are very many variations, including but not limited to "would of", "could of", ... followed by even more other words, but the most important relation is never touched upon: "I have thought" --> "I might have thought". Whereas with "I might of ..." I really struggle to find any usage which would not have been marked as an error by my early English teachers. Then again, in spoken language, you may not even notice a difference, which is why this might be so common after all.

Cheers!
How about "It goes without saying...", or one of my pet peeves "irregardless", why make life more complicated by adding an additional "ir" to a perfectly good word that means the same thing  Wall
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Irregardless could be opposite of regardless. Like undisclose is opposite of disclose, which itself is opposite of close, which ... oh nope it ends here.
You should meet my brother-in-law. He carries the Oxford dictionary
with him, wherever he goes, and is also a programmer.

Irregardless is one non-word that annoys me as well.
(Jan-11-2017, 07:12 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Irregardless is one non-word that annoys me as well.

This annoys me. Irregardless is a word. Dictionaries don't define what words are. We had lots of words before we ever had a dictionary. Native speakers of the language define what words are. Native speakers of English use and understand irregardless, so it's a word.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Anything is legit if we use it enough.

Dang du...your CRIB is phat YO! -> Your house is very pleasing to the eye
Recommended Tutorials:
if regardless means 'without paying attention to the present situation; despite the prevailing circumstances.'
then it stands to reason that irregardless would mean 'Paying attention to the present situation; because of the prevailing circumstances.'
Right?
No. It stands to reason that irregardless would mean what native speakers of English think it means. You have to let go of the prescriptive mindset.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
So, both "regardless" and "irregardless" actually mean the exact same thing?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  longest english word with unque letters Skaperen 11 6,073 Apr-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Looking for an english word Gribouillis 4 3,038 Nov-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Last Post: pcsailor
  a funny code nzcan 0 2,109 Oct-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Last Post: nzcan
  a funny coding challege Skaperen 2 3,103 Dec-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Funny things Java Devs do but Python Devs Don't QueenSvetlana 1 3,285 Nov-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: nilamo