Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny English
So I learned the language when I was a kid still but nowadays use it quite well, I hope. Anyways, I always find it extremely funny when I find native speakers using English in a way which my teachers would have certainly marked as an error and commented as "nobody would ever use it like that". Well, there is formal language, and then there's the rest. I am not sure if they'd understand, or admit it while teaching. Anyways, this thread is for listing instances I found funny, not to offend anyone (I hope)

(Oct-29-2016, 05:08 PM)Larz60+ Wrote:  Kind if like letting you neighbor take care of you're Gold (if your lucky enough to have any).

OK so anybody can miss a letter and type I where O was meant, no big deal. Then there's the utterly common error of confusing your and you're, which I know from younger people mostly. The youngsters (myself included graciously) also often tend to write everything small our of lazyness, but here it is switched, where gold is written with a capital g instead. This we do a lot in German, so it happens a lot to novices here, but it's funny seeing it from a native speaker. But all is topped by the same your/you're switch again, only the other way around this time. Yeee! Dance
It use to bother me a lot that people would mix up your/you're...actually there/they're/their still drives me nuts when people use them incorrectly. 

But nowadays people post things from their phone/tablet/mobile devices with autocorrect, or autoinsert, etc. Sometimes the result is a completely different meaning than what was intended. And sometimes they are not caught. And now that i program, i completely ignore grammar or spell checks due to code giving off false positives. Which lets even more through.

So its hard to tell if they meant to put it or a mobile device screwed it up and they just didnt catch it. Or wanted to bother re-edit it.

Quote:but here it is switched, where gold is written with a capital g instead
without reading this i would of just assumed the mobile phone capped it by mistake
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-29-2016, 05:32 PM)Kebap Wrote: So I learned the language when I was a kid still but nowadays use it quite well, I hope. Anyways, I always find it extremely funny when I find native speakers using English in a way which my teachers would have certainly marked as an error and commented as "nobody would ever use it like that". Well, there is formal language, and then there's the rest. I am not sure if they'd understand, or admit it while teaching. Anyways, this thread is for listing instances I found funny, not to offend anyone (I hope)
(Oct-29-2016, 05:08 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Kind if like letting you neighbor take care of you're Gold (if your lucky enough to have any).
OK so anybody can miss a letter and type I where O was meant, no big deal. Then there's the utterly common error of confusing your and you're, which I know from younger people mostly. The youngsters (myself included graciously) also often tend to write everything small our of lazyness, but here it is switched, where gold is written with a capital g instead. This we do a lot in German, so it happens a lot to novices here, but it's funny seeing it from a native speaker. But all is topped by the same your/you're switch again, only the other way around this time. Yeee! Dance

Cherish these errors... they can only be done by someone who thinks in English (so your English teacher will likely never encounter them in his/her students' works...). You know you have become bilingual when you start making them.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(Oct-29-2016, 05:32 PM)Kebap Wrote: The youngsters (myself included graciously) also often tend to write everything small our of lazyness,
Then there's that fact that you're (correct usage) getting old,
and things like this happen on a pretty regular basis. What is really
frightening is when you proof read it and it looks OK! My excuse is
that I only have one eye that works!
I found indian accent extremely funny) Am I racist?
(Nov-02-2016, 02:31 PM)Root13 Wrote: I found indian accent extremely funny) Am I racist?
Yes.
OTOH there are some interesting indianisms. For instance there is the word "updation". It's not really the same as "update" since they use both. My understanding is that "update" is a change that's easy to do and possibly automatized such as in "software update" while "updation" is a much more manual and painful task, as in:

- "Our European customers demand that we use the new version of the framework, which is not backward compatible. Sandeep, you can take care of the updation of the source code?"
- "Yes, Shandrikar, I'll do the needful." [*cringes*]

Another fun one is the tendency to put articles before people's names: "Has your code been reviewed by the Ofnuts?" (as if I were a forest troll to be placated with clean code).

In retaliation they have to deal with our gallicisms :)
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
i try to get most things right in English. but i like to avoid capitalization. i remember an argument i once had with one of my English teachers. she would mark wrong a mistake i made and tell me it was obvious. no alternatives existed. my position was that since any reader would know how it was supposed to be, then an error that did not create ambiguity was moot (because the reader could fix it ... in their mind). i cn spel pthon wong und u noh whut i ment.

i avoid capitalization at the beginning of sentences and the word "i" because not doing so does not make it unreadable.  if i were German i would likely do this for nouns, too.  Ich bin nicht deutsch.

the english language has some funny exceptions to its rules, such as the pronunciation of the word "flaccid".
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Some one once replied that at least English didn't use Inflection.

But that's not true.

If you remember Benny Hill, in one of his skits, First he said:

What is this thing called Love? ... poetically Shakespearean like

followed by another seen with:

What is 'This Thing' called, Love? ... keep your hands to yurself!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  longest english word with unque letters Skaperen 11 5,950 Apr-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Looking for an english word Gribouillis 4 2,996 Nov-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Last Post: pcsailor
  a funny code nzcan 0 2,057 Oct-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Last Post: nzcan
  a funny coding challege Skaperen 2 3,048 Dec-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Funny things Java Devs do but Python Devs Don't QueenSvetlana 1 3,266 Nov-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: nilamo