Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny English
Yes, they do.
Check out Merriam-Websters definition (with a little humor, I believe, thrown in) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regardless.  Since "regardless" has seniority, I believe it wins  Smile
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Merriam Webster says:

Quote:First Known Use of regardless

Did You Know?

Regardless is rather simply derived from the noun regard (meaning "attention" or "concern") plus -less - nothing too shocking about that. But poor regardless became embroiled in a usage scandal through no fault of its own when people began using irregardless as its synonym (probably blending irrespective and regardless). Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century, and usage commentators have been decrying it since the 1920s, often declaring "there is no such word." Irregardless does exist, of course, but it tends to be used primarily in speech and it is still considered nonstandard. Regardless is greatly preferred.

Shocked
(Jan-12-2017, 02:20 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Since "regardless" has seniority, I believe it wins

Since "irregardless" annoys grammarians, I believe it wins. Tongue
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I would like to announciate that for all intesive purposes,
that we shouldn't misunderestimate our conversate on the subject.
But that a whole nother ting, irregardless, I could care less.
(Jan-12-2017, 02:20 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Yes, they do.
Check out Merriam-Websters definition (with a little humor, I believe, thrown in) https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regardless.  Since "regardless" has seniority, I believe it wins  Smile

wins what?

the meaning is the meaning.  a word is a reference to the meaning.  there can be two references to the same.

irregardless = regardless
now both have the same meaning.

what is legit in our language depends on what we want to accept.  we have accepted a lot of strange junk.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Jan-13-2017, 04:25 AM)Skaperen Wrote: a word is a reference to the meaning.

Ooh, when you start talking theories of reference, you start getting into deep philosophical weeds.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Quote:Mekire wrote Jan-21-2018, 06:51 PM:
Quote:peeked my interest
piqued
That is the first time i have heard that form before. Though online it does show piqued is correct in that form, ive always used "peeked". As in they looked interesting when you say "they peeked my interest". I feel like there is a difference in excite (piqued) and looked (peeked). And since the fact it wasnt exciting, i still dont think i would use piqued. But it is interesting....didnt know that homophone even existed.
Recommended Tutorials:
It was used a lot when I was a youngster (at least in my family)!
in the context 'You piqued my interest'
I find it a little ironic that i have been using that incorrectly for so long, as i have always called people out on the incorrect use of (their, there, they're) homophones. I could of once said "Your incorrect use of 'their' has peeked my interest". And if they knew any better they would just be shaking their head back and forth laughing.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Feb-01-2018, 11:30 AM)metulburr Wrote: could of once said
could have

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  longest english word with unque letters Skaperen 11 5,948 Apr-25-2019, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Looking for an english word Gribouillis 4 2,996 Nov-06-2018, 05:46 AM
Last Post: pcsailor
  a funny code nzcan 0 2,057 Oct-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Last Post: nzcan
  a funny coding challege Skaperen 2 3,046 Dec-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Funny things Java Devs do but Python Devs Don't QueenSvetlana 1 3,266 Nov-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Last Post: nilamo