Python Forum
Generating all words of maximun length.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generating all words of maximun length.
Hello! I am working in a python challenge wich requires to decipher SHA-1 hashes wich correspond to password of a maximun length of 5 characters. The passwords can be only formed with characters between a and z. Is there a simpler way to generate all these words? I know that I can do this with five anidated loops but I would like to do this with regular expresions but I dont know how. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks!
I don't know what you mean. Regular expressions are about matching patterns in strings, not generating strings.
I know that is one of the possible uses of the regular expressions (probably the main use) but I dont know if also it can be used to generate strings. But my question is more general. Is there a easy code to do the task that I said? If the words had a maximun length of 30 characters, Would I have to use 30 anidated loops? I think that must exist a more elegant way to do this task.
If you want to generate all passwords of length 5, you could use itertools.product. Repeat for other lengths.

from itertools import product, islice
import string

# all passwords of lowercase ascii of length 5
pw_iter = map(lambda x: "".join(x), product(string.ascii_lowercase, repeat=5))

# Show first 5 passwords
print(list(islice(pw_iter, 5)))

# Count the remaining passwords
count = len(tuple(pw_iter))
print(f"and {count:,} more passwords.")
Output:
['aaaaa', 'aaaab', 'aaaac', 'aaaad', 'aaaae'] and 11,881,371 more passwords.
(Jul-12-2020, 05:48 AM)bowlofred Wrote: If you want to generate all passwords of length 5, you could use itertools.product. Repeat for other lengths.

from itertools import product, islice
import string

# all passwords of lowercase ascii of length 5
pw_iter = map(lambda x: "".join(x), product(string.ascii_lowercase, repeat=5))

# Show first 5 passwords
print(list(islice(pw_iter, 5)))

# Count the remaining passwords
count = len(tuple(pw_iter))
print(f"and {count:,} more passwords.")
Output:
['aaaaa', 'aaaab', 'aaaac', 'aaaad', 'aaaae'] and 11,881,371 more passwords.

Thank you men! That is I was searching.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generate a string of words for multiple lists of words in txt files in order. AnicraftPlayz 2 2,757 Aug-11-2021, 03:45 PM
Last Post: jamesaarr
  Create a function to find words of certain length ag4g 2 4,011 Apr-21-2019, 06:20 PM
Last Post: BillMcEnaney
  Compare all words in input() to all words in file Trianne 1 2,716 Oct-05-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Python - Limit Sentence Length to 10 Words - Text file dj99 2 5,112 Jul-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Last Post: dj99