Python Forum
Get rid of default post content?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get rid of default post content?
To me, it looks like there is no point in having default content "your post here" and an example python code tag. People just ignore them and put there content in anyways. An example is here
https://python-forum.io/Thread-sending-d...8#pid24358
But there are a lot more. Personally i think if people dont use it, then it just clogs up posts with unnecessary content for future readers.
Recommended Tutorials:
I get that some people are too dense to make use of that hint, but does anyone feel like it's made a positive impact? (This could be objectively determined, but would take more effort....)

I'm not confident it has a balancing component, so I'm ok with removing it, but if it turns out that on average some people get their stuff answered sooner because they realize they should include code, then I think it's worth the silly posts of users who can't be bothered to think a little critically.
Im not sure how we would determine that unless some users read this thread that did realize the hint.
Recommended Tutorials:
We could check the database for first posts, and see which ones have code posted in the tags, which left the tags there, and which posted code without tags.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
That would tell us how many used them VS not. But it wouldnt really tell us who used them because of it being there VS who used them because they should.
Recommended Tutorials:
We could do a before and after analysis, which would show how many more posts we got with code after the default text was put there.
I wish you happiness.
My personal feeling is that the use of code improved after we introduced this default template.
(Sep-06-2017, 08:25 AM)Kebap Wrote: My personal feeling is that the use of code improved after we introduced this default template.

This is my impression as well. I am not an admin/mod, but I read or at least glanced most of threads on our forum since day 1.
What about being more explicit with it? Have it be instructions rather than place fillers. Something short and to the point, like "please give a runnable sample of your code with the full error text or a clear description of the problem.
I wish you happiness.
I'm baffled how people are often so dense, but many of them demonstrably are.  I still think leaving it in hopes that the occasional person gets the hint isn't a bad idea.