Bottom Page

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Get underlying function from Kernel Density Estimation
Hi everyone,

There are several libraries that allow us to estimate a probability density function using Kerndel Density Estimation.

My question is how I can see the estimated function, not as a plot but as a formula/equation.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Best regards,
jpython
There is no simple representation of such formula. You are likely looking for a simple one. You can find explanation about kde-estimations at Wikipedia. So, kde-estimation is a function defined as a sequence of calculations (these calculations are hard to perform manually, but easy to do with help of the computer), it is a computational procedure.

If you want to get a "convenient" formula as an estimation of pdf, you can look at parametric probability density estimations, e.g. fit a normal distribution, or fit a mixture of normal distributions (using mixture of known distributions might be very flexible, if you want to handle non-normally distributed data).
(Dec-04-2019, 11:51 PM)scidam Wrote: There is no simple representation of such formula. You are likely looking for a simple one. You can find explanation about kde-estimations at Wikipedia. So, kde-estimation is a function defined as a sequence of calculations (these calculations are hard to perform manually, but easy to do with help of the computer), it is a computational procedure.

If you want to get a "convenient" formula as an estimation of pdf, you can look at parametric probability density estimations, e.g. fit a normal distribution, or fit a mixture of normal distributions (using mixture of known distributions might be very flexible, if you want to handle non-normally distributed data).

Hi Scidam,

I am able to use the methods you mentioned, but only to evaluate the the probability density function at a certain point. I woul like the formula in mathematical notation. Is this possible?
(Dec-05-2019, 08:22 AM)jpython Wrote:
(Dec-04-2019, 11:51 PM)scidam Wrote: There is no simple representation of such formula. You are likely looking for a simple one. You can find explanation about kde-estimations at Wikipedia. So, kde-estimation is a function defined as a sequence of calculations (these calculations are hard to perform manually, but easy to do with help of the computer), it is a computational procedure.

Hi Scidam,

I am able to use the methods you mentioned, but only to evaluate the the probability density function at a certain point. I woul like the formula in mathematical notation. Is this possible?

My apologies, I did not read your post carefully. I did look briefly into parametric probability density estimations but again I was not able to print the underlying function it uses to do the estimation.

Top Page

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to get the probability density function of my data set jpython 1 105 Dec-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  finding the integral of probability density function Staph 3 349 Aug-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Last Post: buran
  MatPlotLib 2d plot of current density? ruben 0 272 May-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Last Post: ruben
  How to check for nested dataframe density? python_newbie09 0 451 Aug-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: python_newbie09
  Plot Probability Density of an Histogram Python_TLS 1 654 Jun-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Last Post: scidam