Python Forum
Guido van Rossum: BDFL Python 3 retrospective
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quote:Guido: There's never been people who walked away and said we're only going to use python 2' ... 'Well maybe there was one guy'
wonder who that might be
I am trying to imagine what would be a programming language which keeps all old features to preserve the compatibility. And slowly in my head appears a picture of an animal that doesn't give up of any evolutionary peculiarity since the dawn of time. Brrrrr! Ugly and scary creature.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
When did dictionaries preserve order?
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:When did dictionaries preserve order?
Python 3.6
good to know lol
Recommended Tutorials:
3.6 was the biggest release in the Python 3 series with 16 new PEP(Python Enhancement Proposals) like eg f-string.
But as importation was the internal changes made in in 3.6.
Like a new dictionaries implementation similar to the PyPy dict implementation was done bye Raymond Hettinger.

This resulted in faster dictionaries and using 20% to 25% less memory when compared to Python 3.5.
Dictionaries is used a lot internally in Python so this will speed up Python in most areas.

That dictionaries was ordered was a implantation detail and not guaranteed.
Work for all i have tested,so people start to relay on it,so 3.7 i think it will be guaranteed.
Quote:Twitter @Raymond Hettinger
Having dicts ordered by default in #python 3.6 is not guaranteed yet.
But it is so convenient that a guarantee for 3.7 is almost inevitable.
I like David Beazley's take on this. He says (paraphrased)
'We're told not to rely on it. I say rely on it, then it has to become guaranteed'
(Feb-28-2018, 08:38 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I like David Beazley's take on this.
They can always add collections.UnorderedDict later on...
(Feb-28-2018, 10:50 AM)Larz60+ Wrote:
Quote:When did dictionaries preserve order?
Python 3.6
it is not official until 3.7. this just turned out to happen in 3.6. i don't know if you're allowed to depend on it until 3.7, but i suspect a lot of people will. my maps in C preserved order and it was handy. i'll probably be among those depending on it in 3.6.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microsoft Funds a Team with Guido van Rossum to Double the Speed of Python Larz60+ 0 1,516 May-20-2021, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Guido van Rossum about starting contributing to CPython buran 0 2,324 Feb-18-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: buran
  Guido van Rossum Retires ichabod801 1 3,155 Oct-30-2019, 05:00 PM
  MIT Interview with Guido Larz60+ 3 3,332 Nov-27-2018, 10:45 PM
  Guido van Rossum does not care about the opinion of the community. Kirill_Dubovitskiy 12 8,103 Sep-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Guido on Permanent Vacation from BDFL ichabod801 24 10,697 Aug-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Last Post: wavic