Python Forum
Help creating a pattern using the re module
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help creating a pattern using the re module
I have written a python3 script to rename files based on a pattern input by the user. It has worked well, but I now am trying to create a pattern, and I am running into problems.

I have four types of filenames:
filename 1 - flubber.MP4
filename 2.MP4
filename 3 - flubber.mp4
filename 4.mp4

I am trying to create a pattern that will work on all these file names and rename them all as:
filename1.mp4
filename2.mp4
filename3.mp4
filename4.mp4
(This one of course would not be renamed)

I can easily accomplish this in two passes, but I would like to accomplish it in one pass. Help?
How do you easily accomplish this in two passes?
What's your code for the two-pass solution?

You mention that the 4th should not be renamed, but you actually remove a space. It might be good to clarify which it is.
(Jan-09-2019, 12:16 AM)micseydel Wrote: What's your code for the two-pass solution?

You mention that the 4th should not be renamed, but you actually remove a space. It might be good to clarify which it is.

Wow. I knew something was different. I couldn't find a way to edit my post, so allow me to correct it here.

I have written a python3 script to rename files based on a pattern input by the user. It has worked well, but I now am trying to create a pattern, and I am running into problems.

Correction:

I have four types of filenames:
filename1 - flubber.MP4
filename2.MP4
filename3 - flubber.mp4
filename4.mp4

I am trying to create a pattern that will work on all these file names and rename them all as:
filename1.mp4
filename2.mp4
filename3.mp4
filename4.mp4 (This one of course would not be renamed)

I can easily accomplish this in two passes, but I would like to accomplish it in one pass. Help?

(Jan-09-2019, 12:16 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: How do you easily accomplish this in two passes?

See my correction in response to micseydel.

My two-pass solution is:
1st pattern:
(.+)MP4$
Replacement:
\1mp4

2nd pattern:
(.+) - flubber(.+)
Replacement:
\1\2
You could replace (?: - flubber)?\.(?:mp|MP)4$ with .mp4
(Jan-09-2019, 07:38 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: You could replace (?: - flubber)?\.(?:mp|MP)4$ with .mp4

That worked great. Thanks a lot. I think it's making sense. But let me make sure I understand what I think I understand.

In this case when I compile a pattern and use patt.sub(repl, filename), I didn't need to capture the beginning of the string with (.+) because the entire string is already going to be returned with only the changes applied?

Thanks again.
Quote:the entire string is already going to be returned with only the changes applied?
Exactly Idea

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'no module named' when creating packages mbastida 4 3,917 Nov-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'psutil' after creating .exe ? ABhishek 3 11,437 Jul-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: ABhishek
  Regex, creating a pattern stahorse 5 3,116 Apr-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE