Python Forum
How do I sum instance attributes?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I sum instance attributes?
Say I have a bunch of instances of a class and one of the attributes below is the salary for every player. How would I calculate the sum of the salary for all players every time an instance is created?

Player1 = Player('John Smith','RB',749912,23)
Player2 = Player('Ron Ward', 'TE', 7000000, 26)
Player3 = Player('Matt Abrams','QB', 27525000, 30)
Player4 = Player('Anthony Atlee', 'LT', 11050000, 30)
Do you have the code of the Player class?
class Player:

def __init__(self,player,pos,salary,age):

self.player = player
        self.pos = pos
        self.salary = salary
        self.age = age
A general rule is that you need to worry about your code when the names of the variables contain a varying index such as Player1 Player2 Player3 etc. This is bad design. In such a case, the correct solution is to use a collection of instances such as a list
players = []
players.append(Player('John Smith','RB',749912,23))
players.append(Player('Ron Ward', 'TE', 7000000, 26))
With such a collection, it is easy to sum the salaries
result = sum(p.salary for p in players)
Thanks I appreciate it! Is there an easier way to to put the instances in a list without having to append each instance one at a time? I have a lot of instances of this class.
(Jul-17-2019, 01:23 AM)pythonprogrammer Wrote: Thanks I appreciate it! Is there an easier way to to put the instances in a list without having to append each instance one at a time? I have a lot of instances of this class.

How these 'lot of instances' are created? They don't automagically come to an existence.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
class Player:

def __init__(self,player,pos,salary,age):

self.player = player
        self.pos = pos
        self.salary = salary
        self.age = age

Player1 = Player('John Smith','RB',749912,23)
Player2 = Player('Ron Ward', 'TE', 7000000, 26)
Player3 = Player('Matt Abrams','QB', 27525000, 30)
Player4 = Player('Anthony Atlee', 'LT', 11050000, 30)

players = []
players.append(Player('John Smith','RB',749912,23))
players.append(Player('Ron Ward', 'TE', 7000000, 26))
players.append(Player('Matt Abrams','QB', 27525000, 30))
players.append(Player('Anthony Atlee', 'LT', 11050000, 30))

What I am saying is if I had 20 different instances of different players what would be the quickest way to compute the sum of the total salary of all players? As you see above I created an empty list called players and then appended each instance to it and used this formula to calculate the sum: result = sum(p.salary for p in players). Surely there is a quicker way to do it than to append all 20 instances to an empty list one at a time?
In the code above each player is created twice, you only need create them once and rather then appending, directly create the list of players.
class Player:

def __init__(self, player, pos, salary, age):

self.player = player
        self.pos = pos
        self.salary = salary
        self.age = age

players = [Player('John Smith', 'RB', 749912, 23),
           Player('Ron Ward', 'TE', 7000000, 26),
           Player('Matt Abrams', 'QB', 27525000, 30),
           Player('Anthony Atlee', 'LT', 11050000, 30)]

To utilize sum built-in function in Python for member variables of objects, you need to make a sequence (e.g, tuple or list) of the member variables of the objects. The following snippet shows how to make a list of objects' member variables. The code you posted omits the comprehension expression. I hope it will be helpful :)

class ActivityCenter:

def __init__(self, costpool, costsum, costdriver, cdunits):
self.costpool = costpool
self.costsum = costsum
self.costdriver = costdriver
self.cdunits = cdunits

"""
Create some objects

objs = []
for i in range(num_obj):
objs.append(ActivityCenter(<some value>,<...>,<...>,<...>))

Or use objects to make a list
"""
cp1 = ActivityCenter("Material Handling", 480000, 160000, "Pounds")
cp2 = ActivityCenter("Production orders", 90000, 200, "Num of POs")
cp3 = ActivityCenter("Marketing", 120000, 1000, "Num of events")

objs = [cp1, cp2, cp3]

total_cost = sum([obj.costsum for obj in objs]) # List comprehension
print("Total cost: ", total_cost)
Just an observation: if there are two players named 'John Smith'? How to make distinction between them? With sum of salaries it is not a problem but if you want to query specific players data it might be.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to add class instance attributes from list 999masks 2 2,701 Jul-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: 999masks
  Class object instance. Link instance attribute to class. Can it be done easier. Windspar 7 4,145 Dec-03-2018, 11:16 PM
Last Post: Windspar
  How to check if class instance exists in a list of class instance objects? sonicblind 23 20,277 May-27-2018, 05:44 AM
Last Post: buran
  Newbie here - how do i compare\check 2 attributes of an instance BenSalem 2 3,199 Aug-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Python3x running only with one instance (how can I prevent too many running instance) harun2525 5 18,216 Jul-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Last Post: nilamo