Python Forum
How do I tell Pycharm "run this project"
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I tell Pycharm "run this project"
Hi all! Of course among the files is the "main" file. Am I obliged to configure this "run", at first ?
But really my question is double. I address my question to all members of the staff: My new PC is a HP 64 bits. In the SSD memory I put the windows OS. In the hard disk I put Linux OS. Is my choice good ???
Quote:How do I tell Pycharm "run this project"
Along the top of the PyCharm IDE, you'll see a menu: click on Run
then click Run...
choose your program and it will run.
The program has to be the active window first time it is run.
Once you do this, you can find your program in the pull down menu, upper right corner, green arrow and click.

Of course for any of this to work, you have to have selected a project interpreter.
To do this:
  • Click on help
  • Click Find Action
  • Type 'settings'
  • Click on project
  • Click on Project interpreter
  • Select the interpreter from the pull down menu
If there are no interpreters shown, do the following
  • Click the little gear on the right hand side
  • Click Add Local
  • Click the three dots ... on right of Base Interpreter
  • Navigate to your python installation directory
  • Click on the python.exe file
  • Click OK until you are back in the main window.
  • You should be good to go for this project unless you wish to change the interpreter.
This should really be split into a new thread, but i dont have time now.

Quote:But really my question is double. I address my question to all members of the staff: My new PC is a HP 64 bits. In the SSD memory I put the windows OS. In the hard disk I put Linux OS. Is my choice good ???

I am assuming your dual booting then? Just with each OS on a different HDD?

Since Windows finagled secure boot on motherboards on Win8+ boards, its much easier today to just buy a computer and delete windows and install linux, and/or cheaper option build your computer so you dont buy windows in the first place, or get an older computer for linux as linux tends to be better at performance. An older computer with linux can sometimes out do a new computer with windows. You can still though use a new computer or dual boot. You would just have to switch secure boot off to run linux, on to run windows. Sometimes it can be annoying if your jumping aback and forth.

I currently have 2 desktops on my desk now, one linux, one windows. I dont have to dick with dual booting or turning on/off secure boot, issues arising from dual booting in the future. Dual booting isnt hard though, just requires some research. Whenever more AAA games comes to linux, i will just delete windows and be solely linux as i hate windows with a passion.

SSD hard drives are fast, but they do better when you do not write to them a lot. There are only so many writes you can do to them. More info here or here

It would depend on which OS you plan on writing to more often that is better for hard disk VS the solid state. You also dont need 2 hard drives to dual boot. You can put them on one hard drive, and partition it for both.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  export project to an installable software in Pycharm jalal0034 2 1,317 Oct-17-2022, 06:15 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Since PyCharm knows which file is "main", how can I tell it "run this project" sylas 7 7,860 Sep-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Larz60+