Python Forum
How do I translate this into python code? (excel vlookup)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I translate this into python code? (excel vlookup)
I have two dataframes and trying to do a excel vlookup type function.

excel's vlookup parameters: vlookup(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,range_lookup
How would I translate the following into python code?

Trying to do vlookup from df1 to df2. I dont know if I use a merge (all column names are different), map, etc. Im stuck on this problem. Im sure its a easy solution.

lookup_value: df1 column C apples
table_array: df2 A though D
col_index: df2 column D (apple_types)

below are column names...
df1
A | B | C | D
-----------------------------------
grapes|berry | apples | mango

df2
A | B | C | D
veggies|meat | drinks | apple_types

Thank you
Please:
  • Make an effort
  • Show your code
  • Ask specific questions
We are glad to help, but will not write it for you
Hi Larz,

Thank you for responding. I 100% agree an effort should be made. The only problem is I dont know which function to use to get started. (something that works with two dataframes)

I dont need the exact code to solve this, just which function should I use to help me get going in the right direction. Example, if someone can say "use *blank* function to solve for this", this would certainly help me to get going on my resolution.

From there I can start to develop my own code.

Thank you
pandas.DataFrame.merge()
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(May-26-2020, 03:19 PM)buran Wrote: pandas.DataFrame.merge()

thank you! I will begin coding.
I figured how to use the merge command (sorta). The following code combines both df1 and df2 together- (I added left/right on because this is the column I need to merge on). Works great but I dont want to merge all columns from both dataframes.
pd.merge(df1, df2, left_on='apples', right_on='drinks')
. I read online and looked at alot of youtube videos and people do associate vlookup with merge. But in all examples they end up bringing in all columns, which I do not want to happen.

Ultimately, yes I do want to merge on column C from df1 to df2.."but" I want to keep df1 intact but ONLY bring in column D from df2 into df1. I do not want to bring in all columns from df2. Please look below, this is exactly what I want to happen.

CURRENT STATE
df1
A | B | C | D
grapes|berry | apples | mango

df2
A | B | C | D
veggies|meat | drinks | apple_types

FUTURE STATE
df1
A | B | C | D | E |
grapes|berry | apples | mango |apple_types

Thank you for your help. I am going crazy on this. Wall
hello, just wondering if someone can please help me with this.

thank you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo How do you translate this in Python? pythonflea 5 2,646 Jan-24-2021, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Serafim
  Translate some code form C++ (complex vector) CarnariusXx 11 3,917 Jan-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Last Post: CarnariusXx
  Python Package for deploying python code in Excel on machines without python UGuntupalli 2 6,890 Jul-31-2019, 04:05 AM
Last Post: UGuntupalli
  How do I write a line of code into an excel spreadsheet using Python code? Emerogork 2 3,182 Feb-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  I'm working onn below code to extract data from excel using python kiran 1 3,278 Oct-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Last Post: kiran