Python Forum
How do you add the results together each time a function is called?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you add the results together each time a function is called?
I made a program that randomly adds numbers between 1 and 10 to a list 1,000 times and then counts the number of times each number occurs in that list. The results are given as percentages.

import random

# Declaring the variables I'm going to use
list_of_numbers = []
list_length = 0
ones = 0
twos = 0
threes = 0
fours = 0
fives = 0
sixes = 0
sevens = 0
eights = 0
nines = 0
tens = 0

# Adding a random number between 1 and 10 to my list_of_numbers 1,000 times
while list_length < 1000:
    list_of_numbers.append(random.randint(1, 10))
    list_length += 1

# Counting the number of times each number between 1 and 10 appears in the list
for each in list_of_numbers:
    if each == 1:
        ones += 1
    elif each == 2:
        twos += 1
    elif each == 3:
        threes += 1
    elif each == 4:
        fours += 1
    elif each == 5:
        fives += 1
    elif each == 6:
        sixes += 1
    elif each == 7:
        sevens += 1
    elif each == 8:
        eights += 1
    elif each == 9:
        nines += 1
    else:
        tens += 1

# Printing the results as percentages
def print_percents(num_count, num_title):
    percent = 100 * (num_count / list_length) # <--- Notice that, inexplicably, I'm able to use a variable from the script's namespace in a function and without error.
    print(str(num_title).capitalize() + ": " + str(percent) + "%")

print_percents(ones, "ones")
print_percents(twos, "twos")
print_percents(threes, "threes")
print_percents(fours, "fours")
print_percents(fives, "fives")
print_percents(sixes, "sixes")
print_percents(sevens, "sevens")
print_percents(eights, "eights")
print_percents(nines, "nines")
print_percents(tens, "tens")
It works. But now suppose I wanted to add all the percentages together to make sure they add up to 100%. How would I do that (most easily and with as little code as possible) without using global variables?
First, a list would be a better way to store the results. If you have counts = [0] * 11, then you can avoid the if/elif chain. I would also eliminate looping through twice:

for num in range(1000):
    counts[random.randint(1, 10)] += 1
Then a simple list comprehension gets the percentages:

percentages = [count / 1000 for count in counts]
Note that your ability to use list_length in a function is not inexplicable. If Python can't find the value in the function scope, it will check the module/global scope for it. That is, as long as you haven't done an assignment to that name, which flags the name as local scope to Python.

Then you can check that sum(percentages) == 1. I expect it will be wrong due to the minor inaccuracies of floating point math, but it should be close.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Did you consider using numpy to solve this problem? if you use numpy, you can easily generate array of random numbers and then count each number, something like this:

from collections import Counter
import numpy as np
Counter(np.random.randint(0, 10, 1000))
(Jul-31-2019, 01:42 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: First...

I don't understand how you're using num in

for num in range(1000):
    counts[random.randint(1, 10)] += 1
Num doesn't appear in the indented line.

(Jul-31-2019, 03:22 AM)scidam Wrote: Did you consider using numpy to solve this problem? if you use numpy, you can easily generate array of random numbers and then count each number, something like this:

from collections import Counter
import numpy as np
Counter(np.random.randint(0, 10, 1000))

Thanks, my data-scientist friend told me about that. I just wanted to see if I could do it without importing any more modules.
(Aug-08-2019, 11:18 PM)Exsul Wrote: I don't understand how you're using num

For loops require a loop variable. You don't have to use that loop variable, and you often don't if you are just trying to do something repeatedly. But you still need to have a loop variable. If you don't put one there you'll get a syntax error.
I wish you happiness.
(Aug-09-2019, 12:48 AM)ichabod801 Wrote:
(Aug-08-2019, 11:18 PM)Exsul Wrote: I don't understand how you're using num

For loops require a loop variable. You don't have to use that loop variable, and you often don't if you are just trying to do something repeatedly. But you still need to have a loop variable. If you don't put one there you'll get a syntax error.

Ah, I get it now. Still working through what the rest of your code means. XD (I'm such a noob.)
(Jul-31-2019, 01:42 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: First, a list would be a better way to store the results. If you have counts = [0] * 11, then you can avoid the if/elif chain.

I'm not understanding what we are doing by defining counts as

counts = [0] * 11
(Aug-09-2019, 12:48 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: For loops require a loop variable. You don't have to use that loop variable, and you often don't if you are just trying to do something repeatedly. But you still need to have a loop variable. If you don't put one there you'll get a syntax error.
In these cases you can use the underscore _ character as variable name.
for _ in range(1000):
Underscore uses cases
(Aug-09-2019, 05:05 AM)ThomasL Wrote: In these cases you can use the underscore _ character as variable name.

I think it's better to use clear, descriptive variable names.

counts = [0] * 11
In Python you can multiply sequences (lists and string) by scalars (ints). [0] * 11 makes a list of 11 zeros. 'spam' * 5 makes 'spam spam spam spam spam '. Note that this is fine for strings and lists of integers, strings, or tuples. If you do it with lists of lists, like [[]] * 5, it will cause problems.
I wish you happiness.
(Aug-09-2019, 01:32 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I think it's better to use clear, descriptive variable names.
I totally agree in cases variables are used in the code,
variables with descriptive names that are not used are contradictive.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiple variable inputs when only one is called for ChrisDall 2 449 Oct-20-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  return next item each time a function is executed User3000 19 2,163 Aug-06-2023, 02:29 PM
Bug New to coding, Using the zip() function to create Diret and getting weird results Shagamatula 6 1,362 Apr-09-2023, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Shagamatula
  Couldn't install a go-game called dlgo Nomamesse 14 2,977 Jan-05-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Nomamesse
  how can a function find the name by which it is called? Skaperen 18 3,322 Aug-24-2022, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  function with 'self' input parameter errors out with and without 'self' called dford 12 2,995 Jan-15-2022, 06:07 PM
  time function does not work tester_V 4 2,946 Oct-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Last Post: tester_V
  How to print results of asyncio websockets at the same time? codingmonster 0 1,744 Jun-04-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: codingmonster
  Why recursive function consumes more of processing time than loops? M83Linux 9 4,128 May-20-2021, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Can you end the Time.sleep function boier96 9 9,219 Jan-16-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Serafim