Python Forum
How many languages do you use.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many languages do you use.
One thing that I often wonder about when I meet other people who have programming as a job/hobby is how many programming languages do you use? Programming is very wide and different needs require different skillsets, so many people who have worked on different things in their lifetimes has often been through multiple languages. How many do you use/have used? Would you consider it a benefit to know more than one language? I personally only use two langues (Python,SQL) but i am very ineficcient in python and SQL i use at work so I know a little bit more on that one.
I have used several hundred languages over my career (started in 1968).
Usually one main language (currently Python) and several supporting languages like SQL, JavaScript, css, html, etc.
I started about 10 years ago. I have always been a hobbyist programmer. I have used C/C++, Bash, Python, CSS, HTML, Java, Javascript, and PHP. Out of all of them, i would say i am surely strongest in Python as i use that the most. I still use CSS, HTML, Javascript, but that is mostly because i am scraping websites with python.
Recommended Tutorials:
Probably at any given time, I’d expect a professional developer to at least use say three languages - the main language they program in, something for data management (SQL or similar) and a scripting language to do system tasks like deployments.

Beyond that most people will need to do a little of a couple of other things in the working week - maintenance, supporting the main task: web developer doing some CSS, HTML etc.
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
Currently, I use C#, ms-sql, html, and javascript daily at work. Sometimes, also a little python at work, shell scripting (bash) and css.

At home, I do a lot more python, and some (Unreal Engine flavored) c++.
Of course it's beneficial to know more than one languages - there's a lot that's similar between languages, but the differences help you to grow as a developer.

I work in Scala but tend to do personal projects in Kotlin (though there are probably more similarities between the two than differences). I tend to use Python for some automation/data processing tasks, though I was a Python developer for a couple years, so these days I want to do those tasks more in Clojure. Sometimes I'll also write Bash scripts, but think I prefer a more fully featured programming language in general, so would default to Python or Clojure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Killer features/libraries of various languages nilamo 8 3,499 Apr-30-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: nilamo