• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should I upgrade python to 3.8.0?
Hi!

It seems that the highest latest version of python is 3.8.0:

https://python-forum.io/Thread-Python-3-8-0-is-released

https://www.python.org/downloads/

I have installed Python 3.7.4:

[Image: python-version.png]

As I think that running latest versions give less problems than older ones, I thought that I should upgrade to Python 3.8.0. I expected to do it with pip, like I upgraded pip installation itself, but I haven't managed it:

[Image: upgrade-python-1.png]

[Image: upgrade-python-2.png]

So, I have a few questions about the upgrade:

1) How can I upgrade python with pip?
2) If it is not possible to upgrade python with pip, I don't want to keep several versions of python, how can I do this without loosing all my little programs that are inside my folder python37?
3) Why the release date of Python 3.7.5 is Oct. 15, 2019, later (that means more recent), than Python 3.8.0 (Oct. 14, 2019)?
4) Why the release of Python 2.7.17 on Oct. 19, 2019 (that was yesterday and that means that it is the most recent release of Python, even more recent than Python 3.7.5 -Oct. 15, 2019- or Python 3.8.0 -Oct. 14, 2019) while supposedly Python 2.7 is going to be deprecated in less than 3 months?

[Image: latest-versions-of-python.png]

Please, check here: We have decided that January 1, 2020, will be the day that we sunset Python 2.

or here: Python 2.7 will retire in...

Thanks and all the best,
newbieAuggie2019

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
Steve Jobs
Just because a newer version of python comes out does not mean they abandon older releases. This is because some places cannot change their python version and thus require security fixes. This is why you do not just look at the latest date, but the version number

the version number means:
MAJOR.MINOR.BUGFIX

Major versions changes very seldomly. Just as it implies it is a major change in syntax and features, etc.
Minor versions are new features and enhancements.
Bugfix versions fix bug and security issues; and can go on for a long time. For example, python2.7.X i still being released (only up to 2020) even while python3.x is being released.

You cannot upgrade python with pip. pip handles python 3rd party libraries, not python itself. You need to install a new version of python and move/copy your programs over to the new version. Then install any 3rd party libs again with that pip. Often people will not bother unless there is a new feature they want. I have been using python3.6.1 since it came out. But because i want to use the walrus operator, i might eventually start using the latest python version.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Oct-20-2019, 11:11 AM)metulburr Wrote: Just because a newer version of python comes out does not mean they abandon older releases. This is because some places cannot change their python version and thus require security fixes. This is why you do not just look at the latest date, but the version number

the version number means:
MAJOR.MINOR.BUGFIX

Major versions changes very seldomly. Just as it implies it is a major change in syntax and features, etc.
Minor versions are new features and enhancements.
Bugfix versions fix bug and security issues; and can go on for a long time. For example, python2.7.X i still being released (only up to 2020) even while python3.x is being released.

You cannot upgrade python with pip. pip handles python 3rd party libraries, not python itself. You need to install a new version of python and move/copy your programs over to the new version. Then install any 3rd party libs again with that pip. Often people will not bother unless there is a new feature they want. I have been using python3.6.1 since it came out. But because i want to use the walrus operator, i might eventually start using the latest python version.

Thank you very much for your clear explanation!

(Oct-20-2019, 11:11 AM)metulburr Wrote: You cannot upgrade python with pip. pip handles python 3rd party libraries, not python itself. You need to install a new version of python and move/copy your programs over to the new version. Then install any 3rd party libs again with that pip. Often people will not bother unless there is a new feature they want. I have been using python3.6.1 since it came out. But because i want to use the walrus operator, i might eventually start using the latest python version.
Then I think I'll keep working with my Python 3.7.4, as I don't want/need to install again all the packages I've been adding to it. At least, by now.

Thank you and all the best,
newbieAuggie2019

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
Steve Jobs
(Oct-20-2019, 12:13 PM)newbieAuggie2019 Wrote: How can I upgrade python with pip?
You can not that's only for pip and modules/packages.
(Oct-20-2019, 11:11 AM)metulburr Wrote: 2) If it is not possible to upgrade python with pip, I don't want to keep several versions of python, how can I do this without loosing all my little programs that are inside my folder python37?
It's no problem to have several version i have had up to 7-8 and also Anaconda/PyPy..ect.

If you want to test out Python 3.8 just install,but can still keep 37 as main version in Windows Path.
Can access all version using py
# Main version in Path
C:\
λ python -V
Python 3.7.3

# Main version 
λ pip -V
pip 19.3.1 from c:\python37\lib\site-packages\pip (python 3.7)

# using py
λ py -3.8 -V
Python 3.8.0

λ py -2.7 -V
Python 2.7.9

λ py -3.4 -V
Python 3.4.2

# Example test out new walrus operator
λ py -3.8
Python 3.8.0 (tags/v3.8.0:fa919fd, Oct 14 2019, 19:21:23) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> lst = []
>>> while (current := input("Write something: ")) != "quit":
...     lst.append(current)
Write something: Python forum
Write something: hello
Write something: quit
>>> lst
['Python forum', 'hello']
So i talk about Environment Variables Path for main version.
If i copy out image from Python 3.6/3.7 and pip installation under Windows
[Image: GUgLry.jpg]
If i had changed to Python 3.8 here,then it will be the main version.
(Oct-20-2019, 02:13 PM)snippsat Wrote: It's no problem to have several version i have had up to 7-8 and also Anaconda/PyPy..ect.

If you want to test out Python 3.8 just install,but can still keep 37 as main version in Windows Path.

Thanks for your answer!

I do know that there is no problem having several versions of python, as I have been reading this forum for a while and it seems that a lot of people have installed for instance python 2.6 and python 3.7, but I'm a bit absent-minded, so I'd probably will be messing my little programs while using different versions, or even not finding them. Also, I'm a newbie, and I already had a lot of trouble trying to set the appropriate path when I first installed python 3.7.4. I had installed it in a drive, different from the root drive in order not to use the scarce space left in the root drive, and I had to look for and follow a step-by-step guide to install the appropriate path. I couldn't manage to make it work till I re-installed it in the root drive.

So, while I dare to do a few things, and some programs, I don't feel confident enough to use different versions while having to set paths and environments or other stuff. It is also a matter of space, as it seems that I have to install the packages I want to use, inside each of the different python versions I could have. I prefer to use that space with programs I write and other material. Maybe in the future, when my knowledge is better.

All the best,
newbieAuggie2019

Steve Jobs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrade to python 3 opinion hokie1999 5 2,770 May-11-2021, 06:42 PM
Last Post: hokie1999
  Need help to upgrade Python 3.X Ritesh 3 3,708 Feb-18-2020, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Ritesh
  Any command to upgrade Python version 2.X to latest KarthiK 7 4,046 Feb-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE