Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best Python editor?
For anyone considering taking the plunge to learn Vi/Vim I highly recommend becoming a proficient touch typist first. It's a skill that any programmer will benefit from but it's almost mandatory to get the most from a keyboard-centric editor like Vi.

Here are two fun (and FREE) ways to learn both:
https://www.typingclub.com/
https://vim-adventures.com/
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!" - Tim the Enchanter
During 25 years I used an Azerty keyboard, a french keyboard very similar to Qwerty, and I was not able to become a proficient touch typist in spite of trying several typing softwares.

When I switched to the Bépo keyboard, I became a proficient typist in no time, without lessons and without effort. I almost never look at my keyboard and I feel satisfied with my typing speed. The english equivalent of Bépo is called Dvorak, so to anyone who wants to become a proficient typist, I strongly recommend to switch to this keyboard first.

Unfortunately, VI shortcuts were designed for Qwerty. They can be redefined but I don't think it is a good idea because it would make it impossible to communicate with other VI users. The best solution seems to choose another editor. I'm a bit nostalgic because I used VI in the 80s, but it is not a sufficient argument.
I would love to try some different layouts or one of the new, fancy split or one-handed keyboards but I have to use many different PCs at work and I'm afraid switching between formats would be confusing to my old brain. I'm looking forward to playing around with different options when I retire and can stick to one system all the time.
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!" - Tim the Enchanter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Nodezator v1.4 released! (Python node editor in the public domain) KennedyRichard 0 896 Sep-04-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: KennedyRichard
  Lightweight Python editor for beginners Gribouillis 0 743 Dec-23-2022, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
Star Nodezator (free Python node editor) released to the public domain! KennedyRichard 4 2,116 Jun-24-2022, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Finding python editor Python666 4 38,651 Apr-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Python666
  Learning Python. Which is a good text editor for MacOS? birb 4 3,272 Feb-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  I made a real-time python editor - anyone have any feedback? Almenon 2 3,384 Jan-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Almenon
  Open Source and X Platform development editor for Python donj 12 12,251 Nov-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Last Post: snippsat