Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open source PyCharm
Hi everyone,
I've just got the PyCharm student's version.
Could you please tell me if Open source code means that eveyone can see/ use my code?
Does it really safe to use IDEs as that without any concern?
Thank you for Helping.
You should distinguish between the license of the IDE and the licenses of your code.
You can distribute your code under any licenses you want.
If you choose to distribute your code under open source license - look at https://opensource.org/
Open source definition
open source FAQ

also license comparison
also look at Open Source software vs free and open source software on wikipedia

Red Hat Enterprise Linux have a Report on the State of the Enterprise Open Source
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Jul-28-2020, 08:32 AM)buran Wrote: You should distinguish between the license of the IDE and the licenses of your code.
You can distribute your code under any licenses you want.
If you choose to distribute your code under open source license - look at https://opensource.org/
Open source definition
open source FAQ

also license comparison
also look at Open Source software vs free and open source software on wikipedia

Red Hat Enterprise Linux have a Report on the State of the Enterprise Open Source

First of all, thank you.
So, it's actually says that as long as i won't distribute my code to anyone, It will remain private?
(Jul-28-2020, 08:52 AM)Ben69ben Wrote: as long as i won't distribute my code to anyone, It will remain private
yes( well, unless someone installed spyware on your computer in order to steal your code :-))

Note that Student license of PyCharm DOES NOT allows you to distribute your code as commercial product. But it was not you asked for initially.
Under the Student license you can use software for non-commercial, educational purposes only, including conducting academic research or providing educational services;
Note that PyCharm also has free community edition as well as open-source license for core-developers of eligible open-source projects. If you are going to distribute your code I would use the community version or choose other IDE like VSCode
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Jul-28-2020, 09:19 AM)buran Wrote:
(Jul-28-2020, 08:52 AM)Ben69ben Wrote: as long as i won't distribute my code to anyone, It will remain private
yes( well, unless someone installed spyware on your computer in order to steal your code :-))

Note that Student license of PyCharm DOES NOT allows you to distribute your code as commercial product. But it was not you asked for initially.
Under the Student license you can use software for non-commercial, educational purposes only, including conducting academic research or providing educational services;
Note that PyCharm also has free community edition as well as open-source license for core-developers of eligible open-source projects. If you are going to distribute your code I would use the community version or choose other IDE like VSCode
Thank you for your help!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open-source codes and concept ideas. sourceduty 0 749 Aug-11-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: sourceduty
  what stand-alone python-aware open-source editors are around? Skaperen 14 1,979 Jun-11-2023, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
Video Bionic Blue: Free open-source action platformer game KennedyRichard 0 667 Jan-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: KennedyRichard
Lightbulb Open-source ML-based line completion IDE plugin Aekalix 0 1,142 Jun-08-2022, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Aekalix
  Looking for open source projects to contribute cavalcantelucas 2 1,914 Sep-30-2021, 05:55 PM
Last Post: buran
  New open-source Python SDK for NEO blockchain Marsum 0 2,106 Aug-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Marsum
  invitation to an open source community discord server ronblue77 2 2,864 Aug-22-2020, 11:58 AM
Last Post: ronblue77
  Looking for contributors for a new open source coding education platform alexmojaki 0 22,130 Aug-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: alexmojaki
  Learning through doing -- Where to get experience??? Open Source Volunteering. pav1983 2 2,181 May-28-2020, 05:53 PM
Last Post: buran
  Open Source Software for Data Pipeline Testing keaton8630 0 3,134 Dec-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Last Post: keaton8630