Python Forum
How to define two functions run simultaneously within a function?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to define two functions run simultaneously within a function?
Dear Python Users,

I have the code below. The problem is that two functions are interdependent and should be run simultaneously (line - 8 and 11). How can I run the re-construct the code? The Final output is the value of "call" the gives the minimum value of "diff"

warrant_price = []
diff = []
def results(S0, K, T, r, sigma, k, N, M, Iteration):
    for i in range(1, Iteration):
        dilution = N/(N +k*M)
        Value_2 = 10000
        Value_1= 10000
        warrant = dilution*bsm_call_value(Value_2/N,100,1,0.1,0.2)
        warrant_price.append(warrant) 
        Value_2 = Value_1 + warrant*M
        diff1 = Value_1 - Value_2
        diff.append(diff1) 

print(results(100,100,1,0.1,0.2,1,100,10, 10))
call_df = pd.DataFrame({'warrant_price': warrant_price})
diff_df = pd.DataFrame({'diff': diff})
merged_df = call_df.join(diff_df)
merged_df.loc[merged_df['diff'].idxmin()]
Hello,

I am unsure what is the objective you are trying to reach, but it looks like you are performing multiple runs of call valuations using the BSM model. Would it make sense in your setup to give a default value to Value_2 before the for loop ? Alternatively, this looks like Value_2 is used in place of St (spot price at time t), maybe you could use this as an additional input to your function instead.

If you give some more details on your objective I might be of help. I am familiar with BSM and derivatives.
(Feb-06-2018, 06:37 PM)boring_accountant Wrote: Hello, I am unsure what is the objective you are trying to reach, but it looks like you are performing multiple runs of call valuations using the BSM model. Would it make sense in your setup to give a default value to Value_2 before the for loop ? Alternatively, this looks like Value_2 is used in place of St (spot price at time t), maybe you could use this as an additional input to your function instead. If you give some more details on your objective I might be of help. I am familiar with BSM and derivatives.
Thank you for the reply! What I am trying to do is to price a warrant with one unknown (firm value). The idea is that the warrant price is equal to a BSM of european call. Once, a company initiates a warrant its firm value changes (#of Shares * Share_price + warrant). I want to find a warrant value (based on the number of iterations) such that the "initial firm value" - "new firm value"(given the initition of warrant) close to zero.
Alright, I may not be of help to the general solution, but I can give you some pointers which hopefully will prove useful:
  • Value_2 is not set prior to be used by call1, as indicated in your OP, if that makes sense you can set an initial value prior to the loop being executed for the first time;
  • dilution is set but never used
  • Value_1 is used but never set
  • Value_2 is calculated using Value_1 + call*M where call is list, not a scalar. Did you mean to use call1 ?
  • If Value_1 and Value_2 are floats, it's possible that they may be close enough for your needs but that they will not equal 0. I would suggest storing the result without comparing to 0 so that you can observe yourself if one of the iterations is good enough for your needs.
(Feb-06-2018, 08:00 PM)boring_accountant Wrote: Alright, I may not be of help to the general solution, but I can give you some pointers which hopefully will prove useful:
  • Value_2 is not set prior to be used by call1, as indicated in your OP, if that makes sense you can set an initial value prior to the loop being executed for the first time;
  • dilution is set but never used
  • Value_1 is used but never set
  • Value_2 is calculated using Value_1 + call*M where call is list, not a scalar. Did you mean to use call1 ?
  • If Value_1 and Value_2 are floats, it's possible that they may be close enough for your needs but that they will not equal 0. I would suggest storing the result without comparing to 0 so that you can observe yourself if one of the iterations is good enough for your needs.
Thank you! I changed the code the way you proposed, but the thing is that call1 and Value_2 are interdependent. So, I do not know how to deal with this. Once I run the code above I got constant diff_df and call_df since Value_2 is not changing. Any suggestions how can I make Value_2 be used for the first interation and all the rest should use new Value_2?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It seems you have to define functions at the top 357mag 7 1,241 May-10-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  Combine Two Recursive Functions To Create One Recursive Selection Sort Function Jeremy7 12 7,194 Jan-17-2021, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Jeremy7
  Struggling for the past hour to define function and call it back godlyredwall 2 2,157 Oct-29-2020, 02:45 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Help with define a def function Omer_ 3 2,094 Sep-20-2020, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Omer_
  How to define a function to create a resorted list? sparkt 6 2,738 Aug-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Last Post: sparkt
  Cant define turtle color with function argument Wrightys99 2 2,195 Apr-22-2020, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Wrightys99
  Run a timer when a functions starts to see how long the function takes to complete Pedroski55 2 1,948 Apr-19-2020, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Need help with a function that calls other functions. skurrtboi 4 2,458 Sep-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Last Post: stullis
  How to run same process simultaneously exploit123 1 2,414 Sep-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  How to define a function that calculates the BMI from dataframe DavidGG 2 5,767 May-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Last Post: volcano63