Python Forum
How to extract a single word from a text file
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to extract a single word from a text file
Hey all. I have a test file called beta.txt which has the following data:
ARFCN: 990, Freq: 928.2M, CID: 667, LAC: 1007, MCC: 410, MNC: 3, Pwr: -30

I wish to save the value of frequency in a variable such that whenever I run the following command:

grgsm_livemon_headless -f 944.2M

The value of the frequency stored in the variable is placed in place of 944.2M.

The values of the variable may change after ever while and I want to generate a code that can keep on automatically updating the value.

Ive tried initially by reading the test file and then splitting it.
beta = open('beta.txt', 'rt')
betalines = beta.readlines()
x = print(betalines)
y = x.split()
print(y)
However this always returns the following error:
Error:
['ARFCN: 990, Freq: 928.2M, CID: 667, LAC: 1007, MCC: 410, MNC: 3, Pwr: -27\n'] Traceback (most recent call last): File "example.py", line 34, in <module> y = x.split() AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'
I then also tried to store the line in a variable but that is not working either.
mylines = []
with open ('beta.txt', 'rt') as myfile:
	for myline in myfile:
		mylines.append(myline)
print(mylines)
The list of individual words in the test file can be made by using the following code:
with open('beta.txt','r') as f:          
	for line in f:
		for word in line.split():
			print(word)
But I dont know how to proceed further so that the second word of the list is always stored in a variable, say x, and that value of x can be added in the headless livemon formula.
Thanks
Your first error is because you've set "x" to be the return value of print(). print() has no return value, so "x" becomes None. What did you want x to be?

readlines() reads all the lines in the file. If you only have one line, you might prefer readline().

If you want to split the line (which was previously "betalines[0]"), you'd do betalines[0].split().

betaline = beta.readline()
y = betaline.split()[3]
print(y)
Output:
928.2M,
(Jul-21-2020, 07:02 AM)bowlofred Wrote: Your first error is because you've set "x" to be the return value of print(). print() has no return value, so "x" becomes None. What did you want x to be?

readlines() reads all the lines in the file. If you only have one line, you might prefer readline().

If you want to split the line (which was previously "betalines[0]"), you'd do betalines[0].split().

betaline = beta.readline()
y = betaline.split()[3]
print(y)
Output:
928.2M,

Thankyou so much. I wanted to clarify one last thing though. My value is stored in the variable y. So now when I have to execute the python command:
grgsm_livemon_headless -f 944.2M
Can I simply replace the value of the frequency (in this example 944.2M) by y?
Thanks again.

edited: I tried again. the command doesnt pick up the value of y as a variable and returns the following error
Error:
grgsm_livemon_headless: error: option -f: invalid engineering notation value: 'y
Is grgsm_livemon_headless a python command or a shell command? Can you show the code where you're calling it? Right now it doesn't look like python.
(Jul-21-2020, 03:43 PM)bowlofred Wrote: Is grgsm_livemon_headless a python command or a shell command? Can you show the code where you're calling it? Right now it doesn't look like python.

Im new to this whole programming and i'm not sure either. This command is a part of grgsm project that is available on github.
https://github.com/ptrkrysik/gr-gsm
You replaced something in your code to try to call grgsm_livemon_headless. (At least I think you did, because you're getting that error now). Can you show the code that's generating that error?
(Jul-21-2020, 07:41 PM)bowlofred Wrote: You replaced something in your code to try to call grgsm_livemon_headless. (At least I think you did, because you're getting that error now). Can you show the code that's generating that error?

grgsm_livemon_headless -f y
That's not a line of python. What file is that in? What else is around it?

Probably you want to run the grgsm line from python via subprocess.run. Then you can pass in the third argument as whatever you've calculated "y" to be. But I'm not sure how you're calling it now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  extract substring from a string before a word !! evilcode1 3 491 Nov-08-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: evilcode1
  Replace a text/word in docx file using Python Devan 4 2,850 Oct-17-2023, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Devan
  Extract file only (without a directory it is in) from ZIPIP tester_V 1 928 Jan-23-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
Thumbs Up Need to compare the Excel file name with a directory text file. veeran1991 1 1,064 Dec-15-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  extract only text strip byte array Pir8Radio 7 2,789 Nov-29-2022, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Pir8Radio
  python Multithreading on single file mg24 3 1,671 Nov-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  extract last word from path. mg24 4 1,680 Nov-01-2022, 10:55 AM
Last Post: carecavoador
  Extract only certain text which are needed Calli 26 5,605 Oct-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Create multiple/single csv file for each sql records mg24 6 1,323 Sep-29-2022, 08:06 AM
Last Post: buran
  How to extract specific data from .SRC (note pad file) Shinny_Shin 2 1,225 Jul-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Larz60+