Python Forum
How to gauge my level of Python proficiency?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to gauge my level of Python proficiency?
I recently began learning Python about 2-3 weeks ago because I wanted to be able to include it on my resume as a skillset. I had begun picking it up a few years ago but didn't get very far into it.

After reading from several different sources, I am able to complete most of the intermediate challenges on this website with relative ease, but the challenges that they label as intermediate level seem kind of easy to me.
https://github.com/zhiwehu/Python-progra...rcises.txt

I would like to know how to gauge my proficiency at Python and what I should say about my own proficiency on my resume. Obviously I am not a veteran or expert by any means because I have only been using it for 2-3 weeks. I am able to complete the "intermediate"-level challenges as I said, but feel that they are too easy and don't prove that I am past a beginner level.
Build a game of pong using pygame, with both paddles controlled via keyboard (one player is "q"/"a", while the other is "up arrow"/"down arrow").

How about a clone of Twitter?  If you start small, with just friends and posts (no hashtags, or groups, or anything else), it "should" be fairly simple.

Or maybe a script that builds an oltp database, using given table names/fields to precalculate drilldown values.

The sorts of things you can do to challenge yourself are very dependent upon the sorts of skills you want to foster.  Python is general purpose, so you can't really be proficient with every aspect of it.
You can also get ideas here: https://coderbyte.com/challenges
and: https://github.com/zhiwehu/Python-progra...rcises.txt
We have a list of challenges right here.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Quote:We have a list of challenges right here.
oops meant to include!
By the way, if I do become acceptably proficient at Python, how would I demonstrate that proficiency to employers? Online courses on places such as Edx offer to issue you a verified certificate for $99. Is this worth anything or is it even needed?
Quote:How to gauge my level of Python proficiency?
Attempt to answer everyone's question on this forum accurately. That will really broaden your horizons. If someone asks a question regarding a module that you dont know, then learn how to use it. It is more proficient to use an already existing module, than reinventing the wheel. If someone asks a question that you dont understand how to do it, then subscribe to that thread and read every response until you do.
Quote:how would I demonstrate that proficiency to employers?
If you can answer everyone's question on here, to the point where none of us get a chance to respond or counter-respond with a better option, i think you would be ok when an interviewer asks a question.
Recommended Tutorials:
So long as you actually have done course work associated with the certificate, and
it's not just offered to everyone, regardless of their grade, I expect they might.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for people for a Python/Data Science study group (beginner level) fredj32 3 2,379 Jul-02-2020, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Diogenes
  High level Python program architectural design question - decoration for multiple ent yahbai 0 1,746 Jan-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Last Post: yahbai