Python Forum
How to prevent python from going to new line in for loop?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to prevent python from going to new line in for loop?
For example, let's say I want to go through each character in a string and print it like this
for x in "Python":
    print(x)
This prints
P
y
t
h
o
n
How do I make it print this instead?
Python
My second question is when I print two variables how do I avoid printing the white space in between them? for example when I type this:
x = 5
y = 6
print(x, y)
it prints this
5 6
but I want it to print it like this with no white space in between the 5 and 6
Hi,

Check this

https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html#print

for x in "Python":
   ...:     print(x,end='')
print(x,y,sep='')
So basically every print automatically add \n to end that is reason why we see next line. But we can override this by setting end value.
Don't forget Python's built in help system. For example:
>>> help(print)
Output:
Help on built-in function print in module builtins: print(...) print(value, ..., sep=' ', end='\n', file=sys.stdout, flush=False) Prints the values to a stream, or to sys.stdout by default. Optional keyword arguments: file: a file-like object (stream); defaults to the current sys.stdout. sep: string inserted between values, default a space. end: string appended after the last value, default a newline. flush: whether to forcibly flush the stream.
Shows that print() is pretty handy - can use to write to files, create an easy csv file (print to file and use sep=", "), use a newline or not, etc.
You can format what is printed. I like this as it gives me total control.
x, y = 5, 6
print(f"My numbers are ({x},{y})")
Output:
My numbers are (5,6)
As for printing multiple prints on one line, you can do that with stdout.write() and print(end=""), but I prefer not doing multiple prints.

This is a bit of code I extracted from a tic-tac-toe game. In uses str formatting and str joining to print out the tic-tac-toe board.
class Board():
    def __init__(self, board):
        self.board = list(board)

def __str__(self):
        rows = [f" {self.board[i]} | {self.board[i+1]} | {self.board[i+2]}" for i in range(0, 9, 3)]
        return "\n---+---+---\n".join(rows)

winner = "O"
ttt = Board("OX  OXX O")
print(f" The winner is {winner}\n\n{ttt}")
Output:
The winner is O O | X | ---+---+--- | O | X ---+---+--- X | | O
By making the entire board a str it is easy to ask the where to place the next "X".
pos = input(f"{board}\n {player}: ")
Yoriz write Feb-11-2022, 06:29 AM:
Note the post that this post was replying to has been removed, it was a post of someone that had bumped an old post to show a link advertising a website.
The spammer has been purged.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Using SQLAlchemy, prevent SQLite3 table update by multiple program instances Calab 3 701 Aug-09-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Calab
  Trying to loop through code to plot seaborn line plots across multiple subplots eyavuz21 0 1,574 Dec-05-2022, 10:46 AM
Last Post: eyavuz21
Smile How we can prevent screen recording murad_ali 3 1,757 Jul-29-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Skipping line in text without Restarting Loop IdMineThat 4 1,433 Apr-05-2022, 04:23 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  How to make for loop display on 1 Line Extra 3 1,376 Jan-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Extra
  multi-line CMD in one-line python kucingkembar 5 3,861 Jan-01-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: kucingkembar
  Prevent urllib.request from using my local proxy spacedog 0 2,803 Apr-24-2021, 08:55 PM
Last Post: spacedog
  Prevent a PDF from being edited using Python? PythonNPC 1 2,231 May-05-2020, 09:04 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  How to prevent Command Promt from closing when I turn it off in Python? binhduonggttn 1 1,958 Mar-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Last Post: ibreeden
  Can i prevent the random generator to generate already used numbers? MauserMan 3 2,806 Jan-05-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: MauserMan