Python Forum
How to send unicode string encoded in utf-8 in http request in Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to send unicode string encoded in utf-8 in http request in Python
I'm trying to send a unicode string, which contains chinese characters, from a python program to a web server.

The code for this is:
import json
import requests

#get json
    data = json.dumps({"Input": {"Row": [{"BusinessCard": "那是一句话"}]}}, ensure_ascii=False)
    #encode json to utf-8
    encoded_data = data.encode('utf-8')

r = requests.post("http://some-server.com/service", data=encoded_data,
                      headers={'Content-Type': 'application/json; charset=UTF-8'},
                      auth=requests.auth.HTTPBasicAuth("user", "password"))
The encoded_data variable:
b'{"Input": {"Row": [{"BusinessCard": "\xe9\x82\xa3\xe6\x98\xaf\xe4\xb8\x80\xe5\x8f\xa5\xe8\xaf\x9d"}]}}'
My problem is, if send this to the server, the server doesn't recognize the utf-8 encoded data as chinese characters. The server just sees '"\xe9\x82\xa3...' and can't handle them.

But I'm forced to encode the data to utf-8 or the post method will give me the this unicode error:
Output:
UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode characters in position 37-41: Body ('那是一句话') is not valid Latin-1. Use body.encode('utf-8') if you want to send it encoded in UTF-8.
If I send the request from Postman, it works fine. The postman request is similiar, there is only the header for basic authentication and the content type header.

Also, if I send from the python program a test request to a simple spring boot server with a rest controller, the controller/spring recognizes the encoded values right as chinese characters.

How can I send the json data in the body like Postman does, so that the server understands the chinese characters?

I searched a few hours but couldn't find any answer to a similar case like this.

I would be really thankful for some help.

Greetings
MaverinCode

Ok, got some help from Stack Overflow.

I set the ensure_ascii parameter to 'True' and it works.

But I would be thankful for some further explanation if someone knows more.

The documentation states: "If ensure_ascii is true (the default), the output is guaranteed to have all incoming non-ASCII characters escaped. If ensure_ascii is false, these characters will be output as-is."

Why have servers no trouble to encode escaped unicode signs which have been encoded to utf-8 but trouble with none escape unicode signs which have been also been encode to utf-8?
Thumbs Up 
Very Useful when we try to send data with Chinese Characters via REST API. Thank you for your post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Responding correctly to HTTP request Calab 2 1,152 Apr-14-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Calab
Question Python request (post/get) Drunknmonkie 1 2,626 Jan-19-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: prvncpa
  Retrieve images base64 encoded MongoDB and Flask Nuwan16 2 3,233 Oct-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Nuwan16
  python beginner HTTP Error 500 leofcastro 0 2,134 Jan-24-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: leofcastro
  How to send keys at beginning of textbox using python Prince_Bhatia 2 3,022 May-21-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Prince_Bhatia
  Syntax error for HTTP request GET THX1138 1 6,344 May-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  HTTP Header request, how to improve efficiency andreamoro 5 5,056 May-01-2017, 03:49 PM
Last Post: micseydel