Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How to think....
Greetings!

As a Newb to programming, I'm finding that one obstacle is actually 'thinking' like a programmer. To those of you who feel like you've passed that hurdle, what advice, reading, projects would you suggest to help along that course?

OR.... is it either an inherent thing you either have or don't have... or something that simply comes with time and experience?

Thanks for you comments and thoughts.

Joe
I think it comes with time an experience, some people just need more of it than others. Perhaps Ichabod's Rules of Computers might be helpful here. The first rule of computers is that computers are idiots. The second rule is that computers are really good at following directions. So you have to break each task down into very simple instructions. You have to be very careful how you do it, because the computer isn't smart enough to realize that your instructions don't make sense.

More complications flow from there. Learning see the similarities between two different sets of instructions. Learning to see different ways to write the instructions for the same task, and judging which is best in a given situation.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures