Python Forum
Twitter scraping exclude some data
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twitter scraping exclude some data
Hello everyone! Im new here and im also new to python. Im eager to learn python because the possibilities are immense. Currently im working on a twitter streaming code, which I pasted in the code section below.
Im wondering how I should exclude data from the streamer?
1. For instance, i want to check wether the 'status' or 'location' fields are not null.
2. I would like to exclude some fields. For instance, 'retweets'.

If someone could explain how I'm supposed to program [1] en [2] then I would be very happy :)

from tweepy import Stream
from tweepy import OAuthHandler
from tweepy.streaming import StreamListener
import json

# consumer key, consumer secret, access token, access secret.
consumer_key = "xxx"
consumer_secret = "xxx"
access_token = "xxxx"
access_token_secret = "xxxx"

class StdOutlistener(StreamListener):
    def on_data(self, data):
        json_data = json.loads(data)
        print (json_data)

# Open json text file to save the tweets
        with open('tweets.json', 'a') as tf:
            tf.write(data)
        return True

def on_error(self, status):

print(status)

auth = OAuthHandler(consumer_key, consumer_secret)
auth.set_access_token(access_token, access_token_secret)

twitterStream = Stream(auth, StdOutlistener())
twitterStream.filter(track=["Test"])
Can anyone help me?
Is my question unclear>?
Are those fields part of the json response you're receiving?
(Aug-31-2017, 05:33 PM)nilamo Wrote: Are those fields part of the json response you're receiving?

Yes. The json format contains all the data that is available.
In this tutorial: http://adilmoujahid.com/posts/2014/07/tw...analytics/ an overview is given of the data and Json output when no filters are applied. Literally everything is passing through and I would like to know whether it is possible to skip some fields. For instance; im not interesse in the fact that someone does have 20 followers or something.
Here's a direct link to the StreamListener class from the tweepy module: https://github.com/tweepy/tweepy/blob/v3...ing.py#L30

You're currently using on_data(), which fires off for every single message.  Have you tried using one of the more specific ones, like on_status()?
(Aug-31-2017, 08:55 PM)nilamo Wrote: Here's a direct link to the StreamListener class from the tweepy module: https://github.com/tweepy/tweepy/blob/v3...ing.py#L30

You're currently using on_data(), which fires off for every single message.  Have you tried using one of the more specific ones, like on_status()?

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I will have at the webpage you mentioned.
No, i haven't tried on_status which would probably be better. But i have no idea how to use on_status in this particular script.

Do you perhaps have a link for that to?
You currently use on_data.  replace the word "data" with "status", and it should run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scraping Data from Website melkaray 3 742 Sep-22-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: melkaray
  Regex Include and Exclude patterns in Same Expression starzar 2 736 May-23-2023, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  [SOLVED] [loop] Exclude ranges in… range? Winfried 2 1,367 May-14-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Winfried
  How do I scrape profile information from Twitter People search results? asdad 0 704 Nov-29-2022, 10:25 AM
Last Post: asdad
  Is it possible to write a python script to block twitter feeds? cubangt 0 837 Apr-07-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: cubangt
  Reducing JSON character count in Python for a Twitter Bot johnmitchell85 2 45,918 Apr-28-2021, 06:08 PM
Last Post: johnmitchell85
  Telegram Users Scrapper - Exclude UserPrivacyRestricted graphite2015 0 2,556 Oct-23-2020, 05:43 AM
Last Post: graphite2015
  Twitter follower network gugatcgwgf 2 2,019 May-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: gugatcgwgf
  How to exclude bools from integers? boris602 2 1,933 Nov-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Last Post: boris602
  loop through range until reach size and exclude specific symbol pino88 3 2,324 Sep-23-2019, 02:32 AM
Last Post: perfringo