Python Forum
Recommend a GUI library (targetting Raspberry PI with small screen)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend a GUI library (targetting Raspberry PI with small screen)
Hello

I'm an experienced developer across many languages and have finally got round to having a look at Python which is really interesting so far. It seems nice and transparent. It's not as opaque as JavaScript or as long-winded as C#, for example.

I'm hoping to develop some applications to run on Raspberry PIs with small screens attached. They'll be educational tools to aid teaching music.

I've had a good Google of Python GUIs and can't see the wood for the trees to be honest! Can anybody recommend a good GUI library for the criteria identified?

Good =

Will suit smaller screens
Well documented and supported
Looks nice

Thanks
Jim
My suggestion would be Kivy. https://kivy.org/#home

It is very modern but well established and a lot of people are using it for cross platform games which should suit your graphically oriented musical app. It uses that new paradigm where the graphic components are stored in a separate file (like WPF's XAML) so if you're not familiar with that idea there might be a little learning curve. I have just played around with it a bit but there's some nice, well written tutorials you could try out to see if you like it.
https://kivy.org/doc/stable/tutorials-index.html
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!" - Tim the Enchanter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anyone recommend me an ai? SuchUmami 1 694 Jan-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  wn = turtle.screen() AttributeError: module 'turtle' has no attribute 'screen' Shadower 1 6,171 Feb-06-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: woooee
  Recommend an Excel library for writing data? jonesin1974 1 2,523 Feb-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  PyInstaller, how to create library folder instead of library.zip file ? harun2525 2 4,792 May-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: harun2525