Python Forum
Humble Bundle Game development offer
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Humble Bundle Game development offer
I never heard about CryEngine. I think I am going to install both Unity and CryEngine.
I never installed Unity before, as I knew that if I did, I would branch off on a tangent, and
not do the contract that was paying my light bill.

But ... BUT ... I'm not getting any younger, and I always thought it would be fun to learn.
No better time than now, so I'll do it!

Maybe by the time I'm 80, I'll have a game that is worthy of exposing to the public!

The poison has been partially installed
If you haven't already used CryEngine, don't bother. The documentation is nearly non-existent. A fork of that engine is what eventually became Amazon Lumberyard anyway, so if you'd consider CryEngine, just use lumberyard instead.

Unity/UnrealEngine4 are both pretty good. ...if you're looking for 3d. If you're after a 2d game/simulation, I'd use something else (they're trying to become TheEngineForAllPeopleForAllPurposes, but they're not there yet).
Ok,

Installed more poison - Lumberyard

I started CryEngine, and it looks as though there is a pretty good tutorial section.
I will parallel myself for now, so I can make a judgement.
As of just last week, it came out that CryTek was shutting down most of their locations, laying off employees, and paying the employees they did have at a slow rate: https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/20/cryt...ce=Twitter

What happens to their engine, if the company behind it goes kaput?
Then they go kaput
I worked startups all my life, I know their pain, some survived, many died.
That doesn't stop my mind from seeking knowledge.
If I learn one thing that I can carry with me on the remainder of my life's journey
it will be worth it.
(Dec-29-2016, 05:33 PM)nilamo Wrote: Unity/UnrealEngine4 are both pretty good. ...if you're looking for 3d. If you're after a 2d game/simulation, I'd use something else

What would you (or others) suggest for 2d? I'm looking to get into some game programming when I retire in the summer, and I'm probably going to be aiming for 2d games, maybe some simulations.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Well, unity can do 2d as well. There is a community here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity2D/

Also a lot of people seem to like Love if you don't mind doing Lua:
https://love2d.org/

And, of course, there is pygame if you just wanna muck about and get a feel for things.
There also Cocos2d which have a python binding.
Kivy can be used to make games.
(Dec-30-2016, 03:28 AM)snippsat Wrote: Kivy can be used to make games.
If your referring to the fact that its python, Kivy is almost another language of itself. 

Recommended Tutorials:
(Dec-29-2016, 11:17 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: What would you (or others) suggest for 2d? I'm looking to get into some game programming when I retire in the summer, and I'm probably going to be aiming for 2d games, maybe some simulations.

It kind of boils down to what language you want to use, and if you prefer an engine or a framework. When it comes to 2d, there are a lot of good choices (...even things that are basically just thin wrappers over opengl/sdl can be a good framework depending on what you're after). Lots of people like Love2d (Lua, already mentioned above), LibGDX (Java), Monogame (C#), Phaser (Javascript, for browser games with a specific focus on making absolutely sure it works good on mobile devices).

I spend a fair amount of time on reddit, and this is a pretty good place to look for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/wiki/engine_faq

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new Python Humble Bundle ThomasL 0 2,241 Sep-10-2019, 07:55 PM
Last Post: ThomasL
  Humble Bundle 14 Python ebooks for 15$ ThomasL 0 1,942 Aug-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Last Post: ThomasL
  Is there a "secret" code among coders to not offer any help??? yeto 4 2,881 Jul-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  python book bundle on humble bundle metulburr 3 2,676 Apr-30-2019, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  python book bundle humble bundle/packt metulburr 0 2,326 Dec-31-2018, 09:30 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Humble Book Bundle nilamo 0 2,281 Oct-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  python dev kit (Humble Bundle) metulburr 1 2,939 May-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Last Post: j.crater
  Python Books bundle on HumbleBundle j.crater 0 3,406 Jan-02-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: j.crater
  java book bundle metulburr 0 2,760 Nov-21-2017, 12:34 AM
  hacking reloaded ebooks (Humble Bundles) metulburr 0 2,952 Sep-26-2017, 11:39 AM