Python Forum
I hate transponder keys
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate transponder keys
I own a crappy 2005 chrysler town and country for $700. The thing has parts all over from the junk yard. The guy gave me 2 transponder keys. He said he lost his and had to buy more for 100 each key. Since buying this van 2 months ago, i just lost one of the transponder keys. 

I started researching how to disable the magnetic coil for the alarm that needs the key chip. But i couldnt find a solid method that would work. 

This was my method. I bought three $1 dollar keys at walmart, and ripped the chip out and taped it to the ignition coil. Looks dumb, but i dont care, i will never have to buy their dumb expensive key. I had to fight with the person at walmart to make the keys. She refused saying she cant make a non-transponder key for a transponder key.....until i stood there in front of her and cut out the transponder chip from the key and told her, here...now its a non-chip key. She's like your not going to use this for the ignition right? Im like no no no, this for the doors. You can even use these on the ignition  Evil

http://imgur.com/a/1Qnkp

Theres no reason i would spend 1/7th the cost for a key than the vehicle's value. Of course i would prolly do that to a $20,000 vehicle too i guess  LOL
Recommended Tutorials:
You should let https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/ know about this.
I bet someone there would love to reverse engineer one of these.
I had one made at Ace Hardware for about $2.00  Smile
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
I actually used to work at a locksmith years ago.  Those keys are only expensive if you only have one of them.  If you already have two, and want a third, it's $25 or less.

If it's a vats key (pic attached), then it's less than $5 regardless of how many keys you have, since they don't need to be programmed.  But those aren't really used anymore, they were for GMs in the mid-90s.

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

Quote:I actually used to work at a locksmith years ago.  Those keys are only expensive if you only have one of them.  If you already have two, and want a third, it's $25 or less.
Why would it cost more if you have one of the keys VS both keys? I went and they said it was going to be $60 to copy my key. I had only one copy, but they never asked for a second.

But now i dont have any. The chip is cut out and duct taped to the ignition. Seems to work quite well with the $1 keys i made.  Smile
Recommended Tutorials:
Effort involved. If you have two keys, a third can be programmed just by turning all three in the ignition. If you only have one, you need to drag a $3000+ machine to the computer and plug it into the diagnostics port under the dash.

One method takes whoever's programming it less than 5 minutes. The other takes around 30.
You have triggered my curiosity.
Quote:The chip is cut out and duct taped to the ignition. Seems to work quite well with the $1 keys i made
what is this thing? a real chip, RFID, what?
RFID
Recommended Tutorials:
Then someone could build a programmer using a Pi or C.H.I.P. or such. (not me)
(after you reverse engineer .. which could be part of the project, read & write)

It's probably out there, I check hack-a-day, etc to see what I can find.

https://www.cooking-hacks.com/documentat...-tutorial/
i believe they already have things that exist already that does that, but it cost either the cost of a pi, or some other peripherals...still low price, i just wanted free.

I was researching how to disable it and mostly came across the shunned car theft community using Pi's to steal cars...
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i hate stackoverflow metulburr 7 4,313 Aug-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bartolomeo
  I hate text editors nilamo 38 21,793 Jan-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Skaperen