Python Forum
I hate transponder keys
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate transponder keys
Quote:I was researching how to disable it and mostly came across the shunned car theft community using Pi's to steal cars...

Hard to eliminate without changing the receiver software, because the RFID device is an antenna, charging circuit and transmitter,
and needs to send RF id signal
I came across this from the random toplink. I still have that duct tape holding chip close to the ignition. Seemed like an easy quick fix. Every so often the thought crosses my mind about it falling out while im away from the house with the other transponder key, and being stranded....but that hasnt occurred yet. Now that i said it, i jinxed myself and probably should put the other key in the car Blush
Recommended Tutorials:
You can enter here. There is a good article on Transponder Key
http://expertlocksmithphiladelphia.com/w...ponder-key
I bought some Pi-0's at Microchip for .99 each. You have to watch for the sale, and also live near one of their stores, because I don't believe they use mail order. I have one not more than 65 miles for me. I often take a day and spend most of it there, then get stuck in city traffic on the way home.
On ebay you can order blank transponder key that will fit your car model, then there are plenty of online guides to enter the key "programming mode". It seems kind of dodgy, but as I lost one key recently I decided to give it a try. Even if it does work, I think in the end the best option is doing just what you've done, to superglue the RFID chip near the ignition. Most hardware stores don't care about duplicating transponder key for doors only.
yeah i have never had a problem with duct tape holding the RFID chip near the ignition once i got it set right. So far 2 years and stayed there). NExt time i would just gorilla glue it to the ignition so i can remove the tape.
Recommended Tutorials:
Send this one to Johnson & Johnson, I bet they could dazzle us with a DuctTape ad during the SuperBowl
See, now people will see plenty of your life hacking and everyone will start to disassemble the war old Chrysler;)
I ordered a blank G Key on eBay for my Toyota matrix and had it cut by the locksmith. I was about to try the instructions from "Key Fob Program" and "Free Remote Instructions", but at some point it involves the lock/unlock buttons that my model doesn't have, so I could not proceed. I ended up just taking the chip out of one registered key and gluing it near the ignition. I did some tests and the coil seems to be positioned just below the key. It makes sense as the coil and the RFID chip in the key must be in parallel as the ignition is turned on. Now it works with originals as well as chip-less keys.

[Image: 51590769-2378808749015480-2813889059955408896-n.jpg]

As for the more hands on method, someone was able to add new keys into the EERPOM of his Toyota model.
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Imm...Swapped-E/
I'm curious how you'd handle a keyless system. If the transponder is near the car, then the doors could always be opened, and the car could always be started and driven off, without an actual key present. Or would you just not attempt to "fix" that?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i hate stackoverflow metulburr 7 4,314 Aug-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bartolomeo
  I hate text editors nilamo 38 21,799 Jan-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Skaperen