Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a beginner
Hello, I want to know where I can learn to program some simple programming language (I'm a beginner) if you can help me, thank you.
I assume you are interested in python, as you are on the python forum.
Start here: https://python-forum.io/Thread-A-List-of...-Resources
I'm a beginner too, currently attempting to teach myself for now with a book :)
Which book? Not all are created equal.
For both new users, make sure you are using the most current version of Python available to you. If you are using Windows, download and install version 3.6.3. If you are using Linux, chances are you have both Python 2.x and Python 3.x already installed. Make sure you are using the 3.x version not the 2.x version.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
In case you are playing with Linux you can check the default Python version typing this command in a terminal window:
Python -V
The output looks like this:
Output:
Python 3.6.3
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Dec-01-2017, 03:00 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: Which book? Not all are created equal.

Hi, sorry for responding late! The book I'm referring to is Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes!
Hi. I don't own the book you mentioned. But my impression is that it is very project oriented. So if you are just starting out with programming, a book which is more focused on basic programming (concepts, syntax,...) might be more suitable (quite a few books to choose from).
Anyhow, Python Crash Course has great reviews, and if doing projects is what motivates you in learning, you can't go wrong by taking this one either :)
(Dec-06-2017, 08:05 PM)j.crater Wrote: Hi. I don't own the book you mentioned. But my impression is that it is very project oriented. So if you are just starting out with programming, a book which is more focused on basic programming (concepts, syntax,...) might be more suitable (quite a few books to choose from).
Anyhow, Python Crash Course has great reviews, and if doing projects is what motivates you in learning, you can't go wrong by taking this one either :)

True, I agree with your comment. I feel like learning basic concepts will bring me in the field with a better understanding of how things work. I seem to be more of a "project oriented" or "hands on" learning type of person. As of now, the book does seem to be teaching me the simple aspect of this (how to execute basic commands, learning definitions of variables and other terms, etc.) before getting me into the first project. I kind of like that since I came into this knowing nothing about programming, but I'm excited to finally get that down onto a program in the future.
It may already be offered for $10 on Udemy. They have continuous sales.