Python Forum
I need some feedback on this program
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some feedback on this program
So about a year ago, I started development on an FTP client. It started out as a simple thing, but I've been developing on it for 1 year on and off and have hit a brick wall now at version 2.6. I'd like some feedback on it, and possibly some suggestions on what else I can add. You can post the suggestions on GitHub or over here. Here is the link: https://github.com/tannishpage/Python_FTP_Client. Thanks in advance.
Could you explain what you mean when you say you hit a break wall?

From looking at it, the entry point isn't entirely clear, the structure seems... unstructured (the class for interacting with the remote server prints a great deal, so it can't be reused in a GUI version), I see at least one use of a global variable (with strange documentation about it that I couldn't grok), lots of swallowing exceptions (which can make debugging very difficult), comments that look like they should be docstrings, opened files without context managers, single-letter variable names (e.g. "f" where "filename" might be better), commented out code... Lots of stuff that I would flag during code review.

From a git perspective: The commit messages could be more descriptive. I find it weird that there are zip files; I would use branches or tags for versioning (and I think Github might have other support for releases, but I've never used it) rather than checking in binary files.

I know this might seem like a lot, so I'd focus on one or two things at a time if you're interested in any of this feedback.
Also, Be aware of the plethora of ftp packages already available: https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=s...mit=search
Thanks for the feedback micseydel. I'll fix that up. What i meant when i said i hit a brick wall, was that I don't know what else I can add, like features. Anyway thanks for the feedback. Larz60+ I wasn't aware of that. But this is just a personal project, mainly for me to use, but thanks for that.

Smile
Don't doubt always question. There's a difference.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feedback on my first program? jibby 6 4,597 Jul-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Last Post: WolfWayfarer
  First program feedback xyzabc12310000 2 3,366 May-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Last Post: xyzabc12310000