Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
IDLE for 3.7
I have try searching both this forum and a web search, but couldn't find anything.

I am running Linux Lite 3.6
That has Python 3.5.2 (default, Nov 23 2017, 16:37:01) installed from the repository and IDLE for 3.5.
Following a tutorial in The Python Manual (https://bdmpublications.com/buy/linux-an...ual-vol-35), I installed Python 3.7

I looked to see if I could change the version of Python that IDLE uses, but found that each version of Python has a corresponding version of IDLE. But, I could not find IDLE for 3.7

I then did the heretical thing and RTFM, where I found section 26.5, which told me the source code was in "lib/idlelib/" of the Python 3.7.0 directory.

I went there in the terminal and tried ./configure, only to get "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory".

Can someone please give a few pointers as to what I am doing wrong?
How did you install python3.7?
(Aug-19-2018, 10:21 AM)Gribouillis Wrote: How did you install python3.7?
I downloaded it from python.org and did the usual "./configure", then "sudo make install".
Everything seemed to go OK, as when I query the versions, I get:
Output:
~$ python --version Python 2.7.12 ~$ python3 --version Python 3.5.2 ~$ python3.7 --version Python 3.7.0
I thought I just needed to do the same for IDLE: cd to the idlelib directory and make the thing.
Try python3.7 -m idlelib
Doesn't work.
sudo apt-get install idle3 
IDLE is not so good,this is well know for most that have used Python for a while
Alternatives IPython | ptpython(what i use for REPL) review.
For browser so is Jupyter Notebook good.
(Aug-19-2018, 12:18 PM)alloydog Wrote: I downloaded it from python.org and did the usual "./configure", then "sudo make install".
I think you need to install header files from the tk-dev package before you run ./configure for python. Try
Output:
sudo apt install tk-dev
then rebuild python.

Once you have idle, you can make it a little more user-friendly by installing the idlex extension.
(Aug-19-2018, 12:53 PM)snippsat Wrote: Try python3.7 -m idlelib
Doesn't work.
That worked! Thanks.

(Aug-19-2018, 12:53 PM)snippsat Wrote: IDLE is not so good,this is well know for most that have used Python for a while
Alternatives IPython | ptpython(what i use for REPL) review.
For browser so is Jupyter Notebook good.

I will check those out, but for the moment, I will use IDLE for a while as that is what is used in the tutorials.

(Aug-19-2018, 01:18 PM)Gribouillis Wrote: I think you need to install header files from the tk-dev package before you run ./configure for python. Try
Output:
sudo apt install tk-dev
then rebuild python.
tk-dev had already been installed prior to installing python3.7.0.
I now have ILDE running with 3.7

(Aug-19-2018, 01:18 PM)Gribouillis Wrote: Once you have idle, you can make it a little more user-friendly by installing the idlex extension.
Thanks for the tip - I will play around with the basic version first, as I follow the tutorials, then I'll check it out.
I forgot about this thread and I kind of didn't get very far with following the tutorial either - it doesn't suit my style of learning.

Flash forward a couple of years and I restarted, fresh install of Linux Lite 5.2 and IDLE 3.8.5 running nicely. I'm not following any particular tutorial, rather I decide what I want to do, then try to do it, bit by bit. I have my first two working scripts done, so feel I can look at somne of the other suggestions you guys made.

Thanks Thumbs Up