Python Forum
Including modules in Python using sys.path.append
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Including modules in Python using sys.path.append
Hi all

I was hoping for some advice.

My company has python version 3.5 IDLE.

My company is NOT a software company, i have started using it to automate some of my tasks.

The issue is that modules such as pandas or numpy is not installed and these modules will never be installed (no specific reason was given).

However i have discovered that .py files that are not installed or party of the standard library can be included using the following code:-
import sys
sys.path.append("C:\Users\Joe\Test")
Test is a folder that contains various .py files.

I have pandas installed on my personal computer so I wanted to copy the pandas.py file from my personal computer into my work computer and put it in the Test folder shown above but i cannot seem to find pandas.py or numpy.py

My work computer is heavily restricted, i cannot access the c drive hence why i am trying to find an alternative method.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

I saw youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqvZ3vGoGs0&t=638s
There are no .py files for these type of libraries because they are collections of smaller utilities. In short numpy and pandas are directories. Their functions (.py files) are imported after they are called.

Typically they live under '/site packages' either under C:\Pythonxx\lib or C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python3x\site-packages.

Importing the path must be done within your script, and will only live as long. To make any changes permanent you *must* have C: drive access. In lieu of that, you can install to any dir using:
pip install --install-option="--prefix=$PREFIX_PATH" package_name

HOWEVER: Both packages must be compiled from source, and compiler access may be limited on a worker machine.

The solution I use here on Windows is:
https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Where precompiled wheels are offered for Win.

Also, I beleive the correct format for the import dir is:
C:\\Users\\Joe

That said, if as a n00b I am overlooking some obvious subtlety, hopefully someone will correct this bit of advice. I've just installed Python38 on two Win machines with around 5000 packages each, so this kind of stuff is fresh in my head!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Building a DoublyLinkedList in Python - - append method Drone4four 2 352 Jan-08-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Drone4four
  Function to count words in a list up to and including Sam Oldman45 15 6,341 Sep-08-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  How to see the date of installation of python modules. newbieAuggie2019 4 1,416 Mar-31-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: newbieAuggie2019
  python move specific files from source to destination including duplicates mg24 3 1,037 Jan-21-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  How to modify python script to append data on file using sql server 2019? ahmedbarbary 1 1,168 Aug-03-2022, 06:03 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Python modules for accessing the configuration of relevant paths Imago 1 1,300 May-07-2022, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Including data files in a package ChrisOfBristol 4 2,440 Oct-27-2021, 04:14 PM
Last Post: ChrisOfBristol
  WebDriverException: Message: 'PATH TO CHROME DRIVER' executable needs to be in PATH Led_Zeppelin 1 2,131 Sep-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  Not including a constructor __init__ in the class definition... bytecrunch 3 11,349 Sep-02-2021, 04:40 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Python modules to extract data from a graph? bigmit37 5 22,092 Apr-09-2021, 02:15 PM
Last Post: TysonL