Can this be done and then call them such as

"python2 program.py"

or

"python3 program.py"
For sure. I have Python 2 and 3 on each of my Linux boxes
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Thanks.

On second thought, I wonder if I am making things to complex for myself at the moment.

I setup a new computer with Windows 7 for testing and plan to install version 2 for starters.

If you know of a Tutorial you like please let me know and I will make a note of it.
Install each version normally by the installer. So if you install py2 to C:\Python27 and py3 to C:\Python36-32 for example....

You are going to want the python executables name changed before adding them to your path. so install them normally, then just go into each and change the exe filename

c:\Python27\python.exe -> c:\Python27\python2.exe
c:\Python36-32\python.exe -> c:\Python36-32\python3.exe

Then add these to your path
Quote:My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Environment Variables
Then add both directories to your path, and then you can execute both versions in any  directory (python2.exe, python3.exe)

I do this all the time to on windows to make sure my programs run in both versions. Linux is uber simple.
Recommended Tutorials:
Got it metulburr. Thanks. I just made a copy of your comment.
A lot of testers like to use Python. A lot of testers are on Windows machines. There is currently a large gap in the Python world between the 2.x and 3.x branch. (See more details on this.) This often puts testers in the position of having to make Python solutions that run on both versions. But, on Windows at least, this has been tricky in terms of having two Python versions installed and easily moving between them. Here I’ll talk about how the Python development team has eased this with the Windows launcher.

The official solution for coexistence is the Python Launcher for Windows, talked about in PEP 397, which was included in Python 3.3.0. The documentation on this is sometimes tricky to wade through so I want to present what I hope is a simplified view here.
Installing Multiple Versions

Let’s say you want to have the latest 3.x branch and 2.x branch installed at the same time. At the time I write this, that would be 3.4.1 and 2.7.7. So here’s what you do:

Go to the Python download page.
Download the 3.4.1 installer package.
Install it and accept the defaults. (This is important. The defaults include not adding python.exe to the path.)
Download the 2.7.7 installer package.
Install it and, this time, do NOT accept the defaults. Specifically, remove the “Register Extensions” option from installing.

Installing the 3.4.1 package will have put py.eye and pyw.exe launchers into %SYSTEMROOT% (on the Windows system PATH) and then associate those with .py and .pyw scripts, respectively. That last part is important: the installation will have registered them as the applications to execute when Python is executed. This is specifically why I had you remove the option to Register Extensions for the 2.7 install. Doing that would have overridden the launcher being the default. Note that these py.exe and pyw.exe files are different from the normal python.exe executable that each package you installed will have placed in c:\Python34 and c:\Python27, respectively.

Note: It’s possible the next iteration of the 2.7.x launcher will remove the fact that Register Extensions are installed by default. The main thing is just to pay attention to it and make sure the setting is disabled.

But how does all this work? First, understand that these new py.exe and pyw.exe files:

Open Python source and byte-code files launched by icon clicks or filename commands.
Do not require a directory path or PATH settings when used at the command line.
Accept Python version numbers to be passed in as command-line arguments.
Accept Unix-style #! comment lines at the top of scripts to determine the Python version to use.

Now let’s see how you actually make all that happen.
Using the Launcher

The new launcher mechanism means you can now select versions explicitly on either a per-file or per-command basis. Or, in fact, both at the same time. You can also specify versions in either partial or full form in both of those contexts. This raft of options is nice, I suppose, but it can be confusing. So, for example, if you want to select the Python version to run per file, you can use the Unix-style “shebang” comments like these:

#! python2
#! python3
#! /usr/bin/python2.7
#! /usr/bin/env python3.4
#! c:\Python34\python.exe

Traditionally those shebang lines have been ignored on Windows, but Python versions 3.3 and up will parse this line on Windows as well. There is a caveat to this, which I’ll take about in a bit.

If you want to select versions per command, you can use command line options like these:

py -2 my_file.py
py -3 my_file.py
py -2.7 my_file.py
py -3.4 my_file.py

The launcher also applies some logic to select a specific Python version when version information is missing or only partly described. For example, in both of my example sets above, you can see I use generic references to “python2” and “python3” (or “py -2” and “py -3”). How this works is that the latest 2.x Python version is run when only a 2 is specified. So if you have multiple 2.x versions installed, it’s the most recent that will be used if you specify a generic 2. The same applies for a generic 3: the latest Python version in the 3.x branch will be used.

You can, however, change this behavior if you want by setting valus for PY_PYTHON2 and PY_PYTHON3 variables. For example, if you have Python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 installed but you want a generic line like #! python2 to use 2.6, then you would simply set the PY_PYTHON2 variable to 2.6. This works similarly for using PY_PYTHON3 when there are multiple Python 3.x versions installed.

What’s more interesting to some people is that a 2.x version is preferred for files that do not name a version in a #! line when launched by icon click or generic command line calls. That’s an important point: by default, a 2.x version (if available) will be used by the launchers as the default Python even if a 3.x version is available. You can, however, change this behavior if you set a PY_PYTHON environment variable and set it to 3.

So just to be clear, let’s say you have Python 3.4.1 and 2.7.7 installed. You have a Python script (my_file.py) with the following shebang line: #!/usr/bin/python. In this case, that script will run against Python 2.7.7. You could change this operation by:

Changing the shebang line to: #!/usr/bin/python3
Specify the version at the command line: py -3 my_file.py
Change the value of PY_PYTHON to 3.

This probably seems odd behavior but I think the rationale here is two-fold. One is that many people using a Python ecosystem are still stuck in the 2.x world since many libraries are still in process of being ported to Python 3. So a default of Python 2 may make sense. Second is that Unix-based versions tend to rely on symbolic links from python to a specific version and that tends to be a 2.x version on most distributions. So I think the Windows launcher is trying to emulate the most likely use case for Python developers, but this can come at the expense of newcomers to Python.
A Few Caveats

Earlier, in particular with shebang lines, I mentioned there was a caveat that I would mention. That particular caveat is that the new Windows launcher recognizes Unix #! lines that begin with #!/usr/bin/env python but not other forms that are potentially used, like #!/bin/env python. Scripts with these shebang lines will work just fine on Unix-based machines but will fail on Windows with an error something like this: Unable to create process using '/bin/env python3.4. You’ll find the same occurs with a shebang line like this #! /bin/python. It seems the launcher requires you to follow one of the following patterns:

/usr/bin/env python*
/usr/bin/python*
/usr/local/bin/python*
python*

Another caveat to be aware of is that if there are both shebang lines in the Python script and a version number switch is provided in the command line used to execute that script, the command line version will override that specified in the shebang line.

Note that both launchers should have automatically disabled setting the PATH to a location of python.exe. This is important as well. In the new “Windows Launcher” world, if you start scripts with py instead of python, then having python.exe on the PATH is irrelevant at best, and confusing at worst, because the whole point is that py subsumes python and calls the relevant Python executable based on context.

Another caveat, although a potential useful one, is that the launcher will also let you distinguish between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Python that are installed. So I can have Python 2.7.7 installed as both 32-bit and 64-bit as well as having 3.4.1 installed as both 32-bit and 64-bit. Using the launcher would allow me to distinguish between all of those.

I mentioned earlier how the “latest” Python 2.x or Python 3.x is used if a generic 2 or 3 is specified. I hope the above was clear what that meant but just to make it crystal clear: the “latest” does not refer to the “latest installed.” It refers to the “latest version number.” In the past, installing an older version of Python on a machine that already had a newer version would mean the “latest installed” would be used over the “latest version”. The launcher turns that around and always attempts to use the latest version that it can find on the machine.

If you request a version of Python that is not installed, you will get an error message along the lines of Requested Python version (2.7) is not installed.

Beyond that, I have not found too many other caveats worthy of mention. I’ve been using multiple versions of Python for quite some time and have had no issues. If Python is your language of choice, but you are worried about the 2.x/3.x divide that currently exists: fear not. You can easily develop with both.
(Mar-30-2017, 03:42 AM)metulburr Wrote: You are going to want the python executables name changed before adding them to your path. so install them normally, then just go into each and change the exe filename
There is no need to mess with filename,which i would say is the wrong way to do it.
When install Python version from 3.3 or newer a py.exe is placed in the Windows folder.
This can be used to run all version 2 or 3 on that computer,can also choose pip to run from different version. 
C:\1                                                                        
λ py -2.7 version.py                                                        
Hello from 2.7.9 (default, Dec 10 2014, 12:24:55) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

λ py -2.7 -m pip install requests                                            
Requirement already satisfied: requests in c:\python27\lib\site-packages
So here running Python 2.7 and can install with pip using -m command.
This work for all version installed.
λ py -3.4 version.py
Hello from 3.4.2 (v3.4.2:ab2c023a9432, Oct  6 2014, 22:15:05) [MSC v.1600 32 bit (Intel)]

λ py -3.5 version.py
Hello from 3.5.2 (v3.5.2:4def2a2901a5, Jun 25 2016, 22:01:18) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)]
Have the newest version in Path,so python and pip is always used for the version you use most.
λ python version.py
Hello from 3.6.2 (v3.6.2:5fd33b5, Jul  8 2017, 04:14:34) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)]

λ pip -V
pip 9.0.1 from c:\python36\lib\site-packages (python 3.6)

# py also work
λ py -3.6 version.py
Hello from 3.6.2 (v3.6.2:5fd33b5, Jul  8 2017, 04:14:34) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  python not detected on computer adriennn 3 841 Nov-18-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  PsInfo from remote computer in python susja 3 2,224 Oct-10-2022, 08:39 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  How do I locate setup.py in my computer, or install the file? JaneTan 1 1,698 Aug-26-2021, 08:37 AM
  Python Help, New User, Computer Automation hexagonalyeti 2 1,627 Jun-25-2021, 11:43 AM
Last Post: hexagonalyeti
  Can a module be executed even if the computer running it does not install it? CFYB 5 3,344 Feb-08-2020, 01:56 PM