Bottom Page

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Installed Python3.7 from package, trying to run pip3.7 does not work
Hi all.

I am working on an ubuntu 16.04 VM and have installed python3.7 from a package. I now have the following outputs when checking versions:

$ python --version
Python 2.7.12
$ python3 --version
Python 3.5.2
$ python3.7 --version
Python 3.7.4

Now I am trying to install packages using 'pip' - specifically the 'slackclient' package. I have successfully installed it using pip and pip3, but these packages doesn't correspond with python3.7, so trying pip3.7 gives me the following error:

$ pip3.7 install --user slackclient
pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available.
Collecting slackclient
Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/slackclient/
Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/slackclient/
Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/slackclient/
Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/slackclient/
Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")': /simple/slackclient/
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.org/simple/slackclient/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='pypi.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /simple/slackclient/ (Caused by SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")) - skipping
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement slackclient (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for slackclient
pip is configured with locations that require TLS/SSL, however the ssl module in Python is not available.
Could not fetch URL https://pypi.org/simple/pip/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='pypi.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /simple/pip/ (Caused by SSLError("Can't connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.")) - skipping

I even tried running:

$ python3.7 -m pip install --user slackclient

to the save effect. What might be causing this and how do I resolve it?

Top Page

Messages In This Thread
Installed Python3.7 from package, trying to run pip3.7 does not work - by JBristow1729 - Jul-31-2019, 10:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Call pip3 from python folder build by me call pip3 from the /usr/bin Suryavarman 3 138 Oct-07-2019, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Suryavarman
  Can't decide - install modules with Ubuntu package manager (apt) or pip3 in venv Thisisaline 6 320 Jul-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  IndentationError on installed package evvvonder 3 474 Jun-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Problem with importing an installed package Reverend_Jim 4 563 Jun-14-2019, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Reverend_Jim
  pip3 install functools failed kintarowonders 1 1,051 Mar-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  What's the difference between pip and pip3? magic 5 6,949 Sep-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Last Post: magic
  Python nuget package for visual studio not getting installed kuldeep26 0 1,358 Dec-27-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: kuldeep26
  ibm_db error even though package is installed runnerpaul 6 3,832 Mar-28-2017, 07:22 AM
Last Post: runnerpaul