Python Forum
Installing Python 3.6.4 & using IDLE
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Python 3.6.4 & using IDLE
I am on MAC Pro running MAC OS Siera 10.12.6 and have installed Python 3.6.4 however when i run idle I get this message

WARNING: The version of Tcl/Tk (8.5.9) in use may be unstable.
Visit http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/ for current information.

I am a Newbie to Python and having searched the Internet for how to resolve this message am no clearer of how to and clear this issue.
I have opened the link referred to but am unsure how to proceed.

Any help welcomed.

Apologies if I am in the wrong forum

Regards

FJ
Not a Mac user, but if you follow the link given in the error message, the first link given refers you to ActiveTCL 8.5. On the list of downloads for version 8.5.18.0, there is an option to download a DMG file. I assume the DMG file includes an installer that will update your version of TCL.

Background: TCL is old scripting language that was used to create a GUI environment called tkinter. Many years ago, Python adopted tkinter as the default GUI environment because it was widely available (and not because it was modern....). The version of TCL/tkinter included on Mac has a bug that Apple won't fix. So you  need to install an updated version.
Hi Tim thank you for your assistance. Before I download the 8.5 link and based upon your reference that this TCL is an old scripting Language do you believe is there a better more up to date or alternative option I should consider ?

Fred
Hi Tim I have downloaded the ActiveTCL 8.5 Link which has now resolved the Warning Message.

I think the best way to ensure success is to have ActiveTCL 8.5 installed prior to downloading and installing PYTHON 3.6.4. Python.ORG have included an Auto link between 8.6 and 8.5 to ensure the IDLE runs OK.

Tim thanks for your very valuable assistance and guidance.

Regards

Fred Smile
Idle itself may very well be the issue. It is known to have buggggs
Choose another editor, here's my suggestions:
I would recommend PyCharm, which will work across all platforms.
There's a video on how to install on MAC here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb4HNqQtIlI

To be fair, see this blog: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-P...DE-for-Mac
Hi Larz, thanks for your reply, I have checked out the PyCharm Link and will download as per the youtube link you provided. It looks quite comprehensive.

Kind regardas

& Merry Xmas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VS-Code or PyCharm Vs IDLE For Python Coding adt 14 10,252 Sep-01-2019, 05:17 AM
Last Post: adt
  Python IDLE intellisense not working on MacPro ? Devarishi 7 3,652 Jun-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Old Python-version used by IDLE GeNoS 7 4,227 Apr-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis