Python Forum
Installing pefile from local folder
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing pefile from local folder
I'm relatively new to python code, but experienced in several others.

I'm trying to get PyInstaller up and going, stepping through the various dependencies and came upon 'pefile' I found the project for it (https://pypi.org/project/pefile/), and because of the network restrictions I am working in, I can't simply 'pip install pefile' as I would like to.

I am required to download the gz file and unpack it to a folder, then install it.

Dodgy

The difficulty I am encountering is that even when I get the install started with the setup.py file associated with the package, it still attempts to reach out to the net to download items. This is of course blocked. Cry

I've combed the internet looking for some procedure to install pefile from a folder, but have only found the standard method to install it. Therefore I'm looking for assistance on how to go about this from someone more experienced in Python.

My Python version is 3.6 and I'm working on Windows 10 32 bit.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Kip...
if you can figure out what the dependencies are, (often shown on github page, can also look at source code ans see what's being imported) you can install those first, in the same manner from source. Then when you install the higher level software, it will see the installed packages and bypass attempted download.

But a simpler method is to see if you can find wheels, download those and install them using pip
(Jan-09-2020, 04:28 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: But a simpler method is to see if you can find wheels, download those and install them using pip

Agreed. I have looked high and low for a whl file to do the install of PyInstaller. However, you have given me an idea!

If I look at the setup file for PyInstaller and document dependencies (assuming they are not documented elsewhere on the web); I might be able to identify other packages that do have wheel files and share similar dependencies. Installing those would circumvent the need for the install to download other includes.

Let me take a shot at that.
Thanks!
Kip...
As a follow up...

From another thread, I was directed to the Python Extension Packages for Windows website. Which had both the pefile and future extensions that were needed to complete my PyInstaller configuration.

Many thanks to buran for pointing out the resouce.

Kip...
I actually missed your original thread somehow :-) Thanks for the follow-up here
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Compare folder A and subfolder B and display files that are in folder A but not in su Melcu54 3 465 Jan-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Compare filename with folder name and copy matching files into a particular folder shantanu97 2 4,390 Dec-18-2021, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Move file from one folder to another folder with timestamp added end of file shantanu97 0 2,432 Mar-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: shantanu97
  Python Cut/Copy paste file from folder to another folder rdDrp 4 4,943 Aug-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: rdDrp
  Delete directories in folder is not working after folder is updated asheru93 2 2,600 Feb-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: asheru93
  copy content of folder to existing folder shlomi27 0 2,614 Aug-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: shlomi27
  How to copy folder from server to local and vice versa Sachin_d 3 3,346 Nov-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Last Post: wavic