Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it Homework?
Is it just me, or is there more and more "homework" showing up in "General Coding Help"?  I only ask, because it impacts on how I feel I should respond.  Looking at some recent posts, they are less questions then they are instructions that a student should follow Naughty  .  I suppose I am looking for some guidance from the mods as to just how in depth our responses should be.  For instance, should we ever supply a complete solutions, just the very minimum of information or is it an arbitrary thing.  Thanks.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Use your best judgment. I tend to err on the side of it probably being homework. You're welcome to report it with the "other" option and say you think it should be moved.
Do of course see that there are several post that have "homework" all written over it,
but soon get noisy if gone use time to ask if it's homework then if get answer move thread.

Most of us are not easily fooled Hand
so that we just solve the task in these thread anyway.
I feel like the easy way to tell the difference is simply asking to see what they've tried so far. If their reply is basically:
def MyFunction():
    # your code here
it's probably homework. It seems like the vast majority of homework users put almost zero effort in.
Often accompanied with 'my assignment is'
Or "your task is..."
Thanks all for the input, appreciate it
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
As a mod I like the threads to be cleanly classified. If it looks too much like homework, I'll move it to the homework section. Users can always complain in case of mistakes....
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
its a dead give away when you give them a response, and they say something like they "have to" use a certain tool, or method. Or they cant do it like that, etc.

Or another is they are urgently trying to get it done by X time. (they always seem to wait for the last day)

I instantly get a red flag up if they also say something like they want to know how to do it like this and that method. Most of the time they are not that slick though.

We have no problem users reporting posts to have more people take a look at it. Have at it.
Recommended Tutorials:
I think our approach going forward should be similar to this post: 
(Nov-14-2016, 08:06 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(Nov-14-2016, 12:53 AM)thewrongnarwhal Wrote: But how do I create a counter in a loop?

loopcounter=0
while looping:
   # do loop stuff
   # ...
   loopcounter+=1 # increment counter

# here the loop had ended
print 'Times looped:', loopcounter

That is to say, *technically* helping, but in a way that either doesn't really fit with what they're doing, or will be big red flags to their professor that they didn't do it themselves (like generators or nested list comprehensions).  That way they have a small little thread to help them keep going, but they still need to figure out themselves how to actually modify it so it's usable for their situation.