Python Forum
Is it worth learning Python for this specific reason?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth learning Python for this specific reason?
Dear, selected, I am not a programmer, but I need to learn VBA to get what I need today. I have some spreadsheets in Excel and its total sum is 8 million and 200 thousand rows with more than 60 columns, that is a very large data volume. I need to process this data, perform backtests, and learn VBA in order to do that, but with the advancement of analytics I am in need of more performance and functionality than VBA does not provide me.

There are processes that perform in Excel that last 7, 8, 9 hours and meanwhile remain "arms crossed" waiting or ending.

Given this is it possible to learn Python to process this data? It's analyzes, processes, possibility tests ... I saw about R too but it didn't seem like one of the best options, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks !!!
There are modules for working with excel in python

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/chapter12/
Recommended Tutorials:
Depending upon what you mean by "process the data" you might greatly benefit from the python pandas module.
https://pandas.pydata.org/
Pandas can directly read an MS Excel file into its native DataFrame object and will provide more functionality than Excel and almost certainly speed up any equivalent analysis.

Another plus to python over VBA is that the skills you learn will continue to be useful as python is going strong while VB is past its prime and barely used anymore (unless you want a job maintaining out-dated, legacy code).
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!" - Tim the Enchanter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Udemy courses worth to pursue? prakashkumar78 11 42,624 Jan-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Karen1