Python Forum
Is there a Python programming environment like VB6 [meta-GUI: GUI making GUI]
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Python programming environment like VB6 [meta-GUI: GUI making GUI]
I have been working with Python to create small point filtering programs for personal use. However, I would like to transition into graphics with Python so I can use it for other things, as well. Right now I still use VB6 and the VBA environment in MS Office for that type of work. As you know, VB6 was officially dropped in 2008, so it's time I moved on.

Is there a programming environment for Python that allows you to easily create forms, buttons, etc., etc. like the VB6 environment? If not, what is the best way to start creating/using graphics in Python?
I never would or have used VB6, so i couldnt say comparisons. I would suggest to you the WxPython GUI library, but there are others and even more

If your on windows, Python comes with a GUI toolkit Tkinter which does basic/medium GUI.
Recommended Tutorials:
There are many IDE's available for python. Suggest you do a google search on python IDE's,
and examine each one because the selection mainly has to do with personal preferences.
Personally I love PyCharm. But Atom and Spyder seem to be popular as well.
I don't think OP is talking about GUI frameworks or IDEs. I think he's looking for a meta-GUI: A graphical user interface for creating graphical user interfaces. So you would have a blank window with some tools. You could drag a button tool onto the blank window, resize it, and you would have a button on your window. You could then double-click on that button (in the meta-GUI), and it would open up a window where you could write code for what that button does when clicked. You could drag a text entry field on the blank window, and then give it a name, and any button code you wrote would be able to access that field by name somehow.

I am not aware of any such tool in Python. I did a quick web search but all I found was Visual Tkinter, which hasn't been updated in over a decade. Given the Python philosophy of making things easier for the programmer, I am surprised there is no such tool in Python.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
The only one I've tried and this was quite some time ago, was wxFormBuilder. Others are:
wxGlade
Boa Constructor (not sure if this is still being maintained though)
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Quote:A graphical user interface for creating graphical user interfaces
Oh ok. Wasnt there one for PyQT? QtDesigner
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-08-2017, 10:17 PM)metulburr Wrote: Oh ok. Wasnt there one for PyQT?
Yest they have Qt Designer.

Qt Designer may be one that closest can compare to the GUI builder in Visual Studio/VBA environment.
There is a own installer for it trough pyqt5-tools.
pip install PyQt5
pip install pyqt5-tools
Then for Windows the designer will be in pyqt5-tools\designer.exe.
(Sep-08-2017, 10:09 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: The only one I've tried and this was quite some time ago, was wxFormBuilder.
thers are:
wxGlade
Boa Constructor (not sure if this is still being maintained though)
I have used them before as WxPython was my favorite,WxFormBuilder is quite good.
I did do a lot of GUI stuff several years back,
the GUI builder did just become distraction so i did most of code without them.
ichabod801 hit the nail on the head--that's exactly what I'm looking for. As you can likely surmise, I'm not a programmer by trade. I'm shocked that there isn't some Python IDE that isn't like VB6. With things being in a graphical environment (ie, not command line), you'd think there would be something like this. How do most programmers develop graphically appealing apps? Through the command line programming interface?

Larz60+ mentioned PyCharm. As a college professor, I have access to the full suite of JetBrains software. There must be something simple that I'm overlooking...????
Please don't PM. Share your questions with the forum. As to your question, PyCharm is an IDE. It is not a meta-GUI.
It PROVIDES tools for syntax checking, auto completion, version control management (with existing version control applications that you choose),
It manages your projects and organizes them. It does nothing such as selection the GUI environment that you use, you must select that yourself.
Python can be used with many GUI apps, which you choose, such as tkinter (built into python 3 (not sure which version started this, but it's 3.?)),
or PyQt, or wxpython, or Open-Gl, etc. In essence, It's a tool, an Intergrated Development Environment (meaning is places development tools at
the click of a button ( or so with some user input)).

You should read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated...nvironment

Again, It is not a meta-GUI.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [PyGUI] Start learning GUI Programming python sumandas89 1 3,201 Jan-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
Question [Tkinter] Python - help with making a lift admiralsulko 1 3,042 Apr-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: admiralsulko
  [split] New at Python programming Akash 1 2,805 Nov-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: heiner55
  New at Python programming rsmldmv 1 2,957 Nov-03-2017, 02:48 AM
  [PyGUI] Opinions on Python GUI programming cdn 2 4,937 Aug-26-2017, 11:56 AM