Python Forum
Is there a method to completely uninstall on macOS?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a method to completely uninstall on macOS?
I'm doing a clean install of macOS Mojave on my MacBook Pro, and recently downloaded the latest version of the Python installer 3.8.1, then double clicked the .pkg file to install it.

It was only after doing this, then running python3, that I got a notice indicating I needed to accept the Xcode user license - WTF, had not seen that on prior OS rebuilds. Once I did that, then again ran python3 --version, I see Python 3.7.3 returned, which is coming from /usr/bin/python3 added by Xcode and earlier on the path, so I'm never getting to the 3.8.1 version installed via the package I downloaded here. 3.7.3 is late enough for me, and I'd rather just use what comes with Xcode and remove this other version installed in /usr/local/bin.

But, it's not clear how I do that - I have not been able to find any instructions on this site or via searching "uninstall" on this forum to see how it's done, if it can be done.

Hope I'm asking in the right place...
Quote:It was only after doing this, then running python3, that I got a notice indicating I needed to accept the Xcode user license
this blog talks about that: https://docs.python-guide.org/starting/install3/osx/
Do you want to use Python 3.8 or get rid of it?

Assuming that Python 3.8 is installed 'python3.8' should work.

Following assumes that you use bash:

If you can use it with 'python3.8' then you may set alias in ~/.bash_profile file to use it as python3:

Output:
alias python3='python3.8'
If 'python3.8' is not working then there might be lot of reasons for that (not installed, not on path etc).

To verify that Python 3.8 indeed is on your path look for it in your bash_profile.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Uninstall Python 3.10? xytsrm 4 6,680 Dec-23-2022, 12:47 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  should I uninstall anaconda? abrogard 0 2,591 Oct-27-2020, 01:42 AM
Last Post: abrogard
  How uninstall IDLE? NisseMax 4 7,740 Jun-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  Uninstall Python-3.5 source xion824 3 4,416 Dec-21-2018, 08:18 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  No Uninstall Option in Pyton 3.6 Aidan 2 8,581 Jan-29-2017, 01:36 AM
Last Post: metulburr