Python Forum
Issue in launching spyder that was installed using pip install on Python 3.6.1
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Issue in launching spyder that was installed using pip install on Python 3.6.1
I have windows-7 64 bit machine and Python3.6.1(32-bit) installed on it. I wanted to try spyder as IDE for python. I don't have Anaconda or anything like that. So, I installed spyder from command line (cmd.exe) and it did install successfully and prompt returned.

I think it is installed because:
I can see spyder3.exe under C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\Scripts
From cmd.exe when I enter spyder3 it doesn't throw any error and a rotating circle appears which indicates something is processing. But nothing is launched.
After running spyder3 from cmd.exe though nothing gets launched except the rotating circle for couple of seconds, I see spyder.lock folder under C:\Users\UserName\.spyder-py3
When I delete spyder.lock folder under C:\Users\UserName\.spyder-py3 and run spyder3 again in cmd.exe the folder is created again.

I have also tried spyder3 --show-console on cmd.exe. It accepts it as a valid command and shows spinning circle for few seconds but nothing is launched. I tried running this command and then spyder3 but still same result. Spinning circle for few seconds and nothing else.

Question: How can I make spyder launch? Did I do something wrong while installing spyder or am I trying to launch it with an incorrect method?
Hi python300,

I use Spyder on Windows 10 64bit and, I have pinned it to the taskbar (can't remember how this works with Win7)

One thing that I notice is that Spyder takes a long time to launch, this could be in the region of 1-2 minutes, sometime during the launch a window appears on the desktop, showing the Spyder logo.

It may just be that it is taking longer than you expect to launch and you are giving up too soon.

Give it another try and wait a couple of minutes.

Bass

"The good thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from" Andy S. Tanenbaum
Hi Bass,
Thank you for your reply. This time I did try launching it and waited for a long time. Almost 5-10 minutes but still it didn't launch. One more question is before trying to launch it from cmd.exe using spyder3 command, shall I delete spyder.lock folder? I read it somewhere that it helps to delete it if one is having issues launching Spyder.
Hi python300,

I'm not sure of all the details but, the shortcut that I use contains the following links:

Under the heading of Target:

\Python_Files\Anaconda3\pythonw.exe

\Python_Files\Anaconda3\cwp.py

\Python_Files\Anaconda3 "

/Python_Files/Anaconda3/pythonw.exe"

/Python_Files/Anaconda3/Scripts/spyder-script.py"

Under the heading of Start In:

\Documents\Python Scripts"

Seems like a lot of links but thats what happened when I cut'n'pasted them.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Bass

"The good thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from" Andy S. Tanenbaum
Oh! I didn't install Anaconda. Maybe that's where it's different for me. I installed Python and then Spyder using pip install.
Have to follow this?
Need to installed PyQt5
Quote:Oh! I didn't install Anaconda.
Anaconda is whole stand alone system,where Spyder is pre installed along with 720 other packages.
It's of course a great  distribution,but it's has nothing do with OS installation of Python as you use now.
I have tutorial part-1 and part-2  about the basic and avoid this long default path.
Quote:I can see spyder3.exe under C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\Scripts
Thank you so much snippsat. After I installed PyQt5 and upgraded spyder, it woked and I can launch spyder now. I had followed the post pythonhosted but while installing PyQt5 from cmd.exe got the encyption error. I didn't not it down but basically it said the distribution keys were not matching and the file I was downloading might have been tampered with. So I stopped the download/install and then forgot to do it again. I can see Spyder 3.1.4 now. This was my first post and I can't find a way to mark your reply as answer (so others would know what solved my problem). I just added reputation.

I tried to follow the tutorials but the in the first one, I think I can't view it complete. I don't see any actual commands, just the instruction. It might be because I don't have the privilege yet. But new users are the ones who need it most. For example, I would have avoided the long default path. But I am already think to reinstall everything (Python, pip, flask, spyder, etc). Thank you again

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python Launcher (on Windows) only necessary when 2 or more Python versions installed? pstein 1 321 Feb-17-2024, 12:43 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  launching executables DPaul 6 1,382 Jan-15-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Installed pip install openpyxl, Requirement already satisfied, but, still have error jonah88888 3 6,652 Sep-24-2021, 02:11 AM
Last Post: jonah88888
  Installed versions of Python SamHobbs 5 2,525 Sep-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  pip install dlib packge issue MahendraYadav 1 6,886 Aug-31-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  I seem to have two versions of python 3.7.9 installed miner_tom 7 4,464 Nov-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Last Post: miner_tom
  How can I make a short-key in Spyder (Python IDE)? moose 3 2,681 Nov-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  How can I scroll over my data points when creating plots in Python? (I'm using Spyder moose 0 1,607 Nov-02-2020, 07:18 AM
Last Post: moose
  Python coding in Spyder IDE fl4m3 0 2,446 Sep-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Last Post: fl4m3
  Package installed through Anaconda "not found" by Python zonova 0 2,306 May-08-2020, 11:50 PM
Last Post: zonova