Python Forum
Iterating through rows and saving result in a new column
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Iterating through rows and saving result in a new column
Hello everyone! I am seeking your help on the following task.

So, thankfully to you I was able to extract geo coordinates from a tweet, and save latitude/longitude as float64 in separate columns. Now, I need to convert coordinates to FIPS codes. The easiest way seems to be using -stateplane-:

import stateplane
stateplane.identify(-78.873165, 39.207769, fmt='fips') # lon first
'4701'
To create a new column with identifed FIPS code, I do the following:

for index, row in df.iterrow():
     df["FIPS"] = df[stateplane.identify('lon', 'lat', fmt='fips')]
But I guess I am doing it incorrectly -- i.e., specifying lon/lat columns to get values from, as I get the following error:

Error:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last) /Users/mymac/anaconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/shapely/geometry/point.py in geos_point_from_py(ob, update_geom, update_ndim) 201 # From array protocol --> 202 array = ob.__array_interface__ 203 assert len(array['shape']) == 1 AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute '__array_interface__' During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: TypeError Traceback (most recent call last) <ipython-input-20-e8453e36b340> in <module>() 1 for index, row in test.iterrows(): ----> 2 text["FIPS"] = stateplane.identify('lon', 'lat', fmt='fips') # lon then lat /Users/mymac/anaconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/stateplane/stateplane.py in identify(lon, lat, fmt, statefp, countyfp) 83 ''' 84 ---> 85 result = _id(lon, lat, statefp=statefp, countyfp=countyfp) 86 87 try: /Users/mymac/anaconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/stateplane/stateplane.py in _id(lon, lat, statefp, countyfp) 63 raise ValueError("SPCS not found for statefp={}".format(statefp)) 64 ---> 65 target = Point(lon, lat) 66 result = None 67 /Users/mymac/anaconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/shapely/geometry/point.py in __init__(self, *args) 47 BaseGeometry.__init__(self) 48 if len(args) > 0: ---> 49 self._set_coords(*args) 50 51 # Coordinate getters and setters /Users/mymac/anaconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/shapely/geometry/point.py in _set_coords(self, *args) 127 self._geom, self._ndim = geos_point_from_py(args[0]) 128 else: --> 129 self._geom, self._ndim = geos_point_from_py(tuple(args)) 130 131 coords = property(BaseGeometry._get_coords, _set_coords) /Users/mymac/anaconda/lib/python3.6/site-packages/shapely/geometry/point.py in geos_point_from_py(ob, update_geom, update_ndim) 233 coords = ob 234 n = len(coords) --> 235 dx = c_double(coords[0]) 236 dy = c_double(coords[1]) 237 dz = None TypeError: must be real number, not str
Please advise how to do it right.
The only FIPS code that I am aware of is: Federal Information Processing Standards (USA)
what does fips stand for here?

As for the question, need to see the structure of the df list.
(Apr-20-2017, 04:46 PM)kiton Wrote: To create a new column with identifed FIPS code, I do the following:

for index, row in df.iterrow():
     df["FIPS"] = df[stateplane.identify('lon', 'lat', fmt='fips')]

This code contains quite big amount of errors. Iterating over df.iterrows() (not df.iterrow()) means iterating over pairs (index, row) as you correctly use in for clausule, but you dont use it at all in the body of the loop...  steteplane.identify() seems to accept only numerical arguments for longitude and latitude, not 'lon' and 'lat' strings (it cant know that these should be substitued with values of appropriate row of dataframe). Morever indexing dataframe with returning value of identify would almost never work, neither trying to assign it to a new df column.

It is possible to rewrite your for loop to work as you want:
df['FIPS'] = 0  # dummy value
for index, row in df.iterrows():
    df['FIPS'][index] = stateplane.identify(row['lon'], row['lat'], fmt='fips')
But standard (and more effective) way to apply some function over dataframe columns or rows is to use .apply():
df['fips'] = df.apply(lambda row: stateplane.identify(row['lon'], row['lat'], fmt='FIPS'), axis=1)
zivoni, your code (bottom one) worked perfectly. I am so thankful for your help. There is a lot for me to learn form you.

Larz60+, I appreciate your feedback as well. Thank you!
Update for future viewers of this post: -stateplane- appeared to be a bit tricky, because their FIPS (The Federal Information Processing Standard) is not a "classic" FIPS (https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrc...143_013697), but rather an ESPG one (https://www.epsg-registry.org). I am not sure of all the details related to the differences between the two, but undoubtedly they are different.

Therefore, those interested in the former ("classic") FIPS should obtain those via FCC API. Adapting zivoni's code, here is a solution:
from fcc.census_block_conversions import census_block_fips
df['fips'] = df.apply(lambda row: census_block_fips(row['lat'], row['lon']), axis=1)
P.S. I am running 2.7Million rows now, we'll see how long it takes.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This result object does not return rows. It has been closed automatically dawid294 6 1,012 Mar-30-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: NolaCuriel
  Saving the print result in a text file Calli 8 1,787 Sep-25-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  How to assign a value to pandas dataframe column rows based on a condition klllmmm 0 828 Sep-08-2022, 06:32 AM
Last Post: klllmmm
  The code I have written removes the desired number of rows, but wrong rows Jdesi1983 0 1,630 Dec-08-2021, 04:42 AM
Last Post: Jdesi1983
  Iterating Through Data Frame Rows JoeDainton123 2 2,916 Aug-09-2021, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Pandas DataFrame combine rows by column value, where Date Rows are NULL rhat398 0 2,111 May-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Last Post: rhat398
  Indexing [::-1] to Reverse ALL 2D Array Rows, ALL 3D, 4D Array Columns & Rows Python Jeremy7 8 7,106 Mar-02-2021, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Jeremy7
  How to filter out Column data From Multiple rows data? firaki12345 10 5,094 Feb-06-2021, 04:54 AM
Last Post: buran
  how to combine rows to a column base on ids zhujp98 0 1,495 Nov-03-2020, 04:10 PM
Last Post: zhujp98
  How to generate rows based on values in a column to fill missing values codesmatter 1 2,124 Oct-31-2020, 12:05 AM
Last Post: Larz60+